Esprit compared to mastercam or unigraphics

Of course the distributor for MasterCam said Esprit isn't up to snuff in the 5 axis milling like MasterCam. Having never used it before can anyone tell me the truth. I've used NCL, Gibbscam, UG, MC, smartcam, apt, and at least 5 more I can't even remember their name over the years. Can anyone tell me what Esprit is similar to and if it's really just a decent wire package?

Reply to
Dewittian

Not sure how it is today but I recall Esprit as of a few years ago not having a good modeler. If you do a lot of complex or large 5ax work, a good modeler is required for a variety of reasons. That's what I've found over the years. That's been my problem with these cam only solutions.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

See post "Dump your CAM & get Cimatron"

-- \|||/ (o o) ______.oOO-(_)-OOo.____________________ ~ Gil ~ the self proclaimed IT13 king

Reply to
cncmillgil

Isn't Cimatron's for Mold Making (that's why they picked of Gibbs)? I would not see it as the right tool for say aerospace and general part programming no?

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill

Isn't Cimatron's for Mold Making (that's why they picked of Gibbs)? I would not see it as the right tool for say aerospace and general part programming no?

-- Bill

cimitron and ug require a lot of love. After time the stuff really kicks. Esprit just sucks period. Screw that silly crap. Mastercam...all purpose, and quick to get efficient.

If anybody is asking about the differences, it prolly means they are in a position to use mastercam. If people are looking to upgrade cams, I'd go UG before cimitron.

UG...still the best damn stuff Iv'e ever used! Cimitron rocks, but....not so intuitive. I will say this, cimitron makes some sweet toolpath! SUWEEETTTT!!!!

Reply to
vinny

I was pointing out to Gil that Cimitron is really designed for mold work - not for say airframe, machined castings, or general machining (though yes, I know it can be used there in a pinch). So I would not compare it to the others unless you include the others mold machining options - Mastercam's Mold Plus and NX's Mold Wizard.

When folks ask about cadcam comparisons, I'm always surprised they don't mention the type of work it will be used for.

-- Bill

Reply to
Bill