Anybody running unigraphics nx5?

Looks like I'll be learning it, sure could use all the input I can get.

If the company you're going to work for isn't willing to pay for training and can't explain why they haven't upgraded to NX 6 you have once again shown you don't know how to properly pick the employer who will benefit from your skills.
Did you ever figure out what's wrong with Mastercam's chaining rather then follow a total CADCAM idiot like Joe788?
Have you watched the what's new video for Mastercam X4... specifically what CNC Software calls Feature Based Chaining?
Seems to me like you might need to repeat 1st grade.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA

First 2 weeks are on day shift running a training module. 40 hrs both weeks, after the training module is finished I spend the rest of the 2 weeks as the boss man's toby to learn their custome manufacturing processes.. That's actually a pretty big investment for my area. Prolly a lot more than I will need.

Havn't asked. My guess is they are like most places and the new version is sitting there collecting dust. From what I can tell from our talks they are very customized and automated. Looking at the version 5 to 6 comparison on their website seems like a lot of automation and customization would have to be upgraded. That takes a lot of man hours, and considering they hired me without ever running it they might be a little short of resources to make a change requiring such a loss in productivity. Seems Cam programming is kind of a service supporting manufacturing. Making manufacturing suffer while you upgrade every year is sometimes very innefficient when looking at the manufacturing process as a whole. They sell molds, not programs.

Maybe. Thing is I'm not trying to get rich. Money is not always the main objective for me. I could get a job in Georgia, leave my family for 6 months to make a couple of bucks more running a new version of something. But I don't look at what the job immediately offers, I look at the whole shop, considering I eventually work in the whole shop. If they hire me as a programmer in a mold shop...then I consider myself a moldmaker/programmer. The shop is the largest Mold shop in mid western Florida from what I can tell. Theyv'e been in buisiness for 30 years. 200 people work there. That's huge for a "custom" injection molding company. The equipment they have takes my breath away literally. Of course I could of sold myself to the highest bidder and ended up making parts in a huge company, but custom is where it's at. Making a different part every day year after year is worth it's weight in gold to some people. To me boredom is the enemy. Chase the dollar if you want, to me it's a big part, but just a part of the whole picture. the place has had constant overtime for 30 years with no lulls. Doesn't matter what you make if it's 40 hrs. It's still chump change. Overtime is another piece of the puzzle. So is benefits, the fact that it's 7 miles from my house, the fact I know most of the management, and respect them, the fact that the owner is basically one of the better moldmakers in my town, the type of work is awesome, the people working there seem happy, shit...I think I lucked out on this one. But who knows for sure.

Actually, he seems to be pretty good at mastercam. Maybe compared to what you do mastercam is like running notepad. Of course I disagree. I think it is cheesy, and has so many flaws it's not funny, but it's capable in the right hands of making very efficient toolpath, it just takes a little more skill. Iv'e seen it over and over and over, everywhere I go. I always end up on the old junky equipment, and I like to feel it's a skill issue. Whether it's a wire edm, an edm, a cnc mill, or a cam system, the lower your skill the fancier a piece of tooling is needed. I would be shocked to see nx5 incapable of making kick ass code. If your reliant on the latest and greatest just to keep up...well.........

no. listen, I run what they have. Iv'e ran esprit,camax,proe,mastercam,surfcam,smartcam, shopcam,eazycam,bobcam,hsmworks, as well as just as many cad systems. All those were from Jobs Iv'e had. Right now I run nothing, it's called unemployment. Mastercrap is no longer part of my life or career. It's just another machine in a history of literally hundreds.
Soon I will be able to add Unigraphics to it. Considering it uses the same core as solidworks, and they own ideas, i shouldn't have a problem since Iv'e ran both of them.

I'll tell you what, I'll just pretend I didn't read that.

NX 6 has Synchronous Technology and this can make a huge difference in productivity. Suggest you read and watch the video links on my blog.
> Actually, he seems to be pretty good at mastercam.
After ten years ( I have less than 2 years) Joe788 is still asking for help on the basics on the e-Mastercam forum and their are many things he has no clue about or has badly wrong.

You still don't get it. The major fault with Mastercam is that other products automate what Mastercam doesn't. Neither you or a CADCAM idiot like Joe788 understands this and when you don't understand this you can't understand what's really needed in a CADCAM product. I suggest you and many of the other CADCAM idiots in this newsgroup watch the what's new video for Mastercam X4 and focus on the part where they show their new Feature Based Chaining and then start thinking about what took so long and what else Feature Based Chaining could do. Here's a clue... Delcam Featurecam already does it and has for years.

Agree but what's the point? In this business the biggest fact is labor costs and not having the right equipment or CADCAM system costs tons of time / labor / money.

If you have no clues about what's in other CADCAM systems you can't make the right decisions based on what's possible.

Wrong. It's the market leading CADCAM system and it's finally moving in the right direction with X4. The next shop you may work for might very well have it.

You read it.
Hope the new job works out even if you haven't really learned your lesson.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sun, 24 May 2009 09:36:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Jon,
You said your company bought NX6 and you would be using it starting LAST January. If it's sooooo good why NOT use it?
You didn't get caught lying again did you?
How can you be toooo busy to implement something you claim is 100X faster?
How can there be a shortage of Machinists in San Diego if those claiming a shortage are only offering what you consider Coolie Wages?
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

Vinny.....You're trying to carry on a sane conversation with an insane lil fool. Walk away dood.....just WALK AWAY !!
All he knows is what he's read in ads and blurbs on the internet. He's not a programmer or a machinist. He's just a "poser". Nuff said.....
Barn
On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:27:26 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

Jon Banquer fishing for clues.....that he can later copy, paste & .
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

Jon Banquer fishing for clues.....that he can later copy, paste & plagiarize.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz
On Sun, 24 May 2009 12:27:26 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

<see above>

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

This statement is totally meaningless because it lacks specifics.

The same boss that doesn't see anything wrong with oil gauges on automatic oiler's always reading zero?
Same boss that doesn't see anything wrong with machines that for years have tools banging out of the spindle?
Same boss that doesn't see anything wrong with tools randomly shooting through the carrousel bounding around in the work area?
Hard to believe you could find a boss more clueless than yourself.

See above.....

ROFLMAO......if Bull Shit were pennies Jon Banquer would be a multi-millionaire.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

Because reality isn't something you handle well, Vinny.

This from a fired and now unemployed mold maker / drunk living in a state like Florida that's hostile to making a living as a machinist.

Who cares what most of the idiots in this newsgroup think. Why not drink some beer and gain some courage and post your worthless crap now?

You pride yourself on being lazy, drinking beer and not putting in the effort to really learn a CADCAM program and making excuses on why you got fired / why you were still there at least five years after you should have moved on.
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Sun, 24 May 2009 15:14:39 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer

So now you're claiming you left Florida because it's hostile to machinists....LOL.
Didn't you flee Florida one step ahead of the law Jon, you know, where your wife ended up spending years in prison?
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

You are an outright liar. Please post a direct quote where I said ANY of those things.
I've been using X4 for about two months. How long have YOU been using it? (Oh that's right, you don't even have access to it).

[ Sat, 9 May 2009
Is there any way to remove scratches from a ground surface finish (the surface is flat) and have it match the existing ground finish without regrinding the entire surface?
Jon Banquer ]
[ Sun, May 10, 2009
Get a sheet of sand paper and put it on a surface plate and rub the part on it the direction of the grinder marks. Rip off a corner of the paper and rub the spot across the scratch a few times the direction of the grinding marks. Then rub the whole part on the flat piece of sand paper on the surface plate the same direction again. Go back and forth until its hidden.
Start with 600 paper, and change to a coarser or finer sheet as needed to match the grind.
Vinny ]
[ Wed, 13 May 2009
I'm not able to match the texture of the grinding wheel with 600 grit paper... it's too smooth and doesn't leave the same kind of finish a grinding wheel does. While it does look better it's not an exact match to the grinding wheel finish which is what I'm really after. Maybe I should try 400 grit paper and it might get me closer?
Jon Banquer ]
Duh!..........ROFLMAO......Who says Jon doesn't know shit?
Even when you spelled it out for him and couldn't make it clearer to use a coarser or finer abrasive to match the finish.....Doh!
(Good chance these are Gauge Blocks/Joe Blocks Jon bought at auction.......<G>)
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz
wrote in message

dood, THAT was funny! I wonder if he squaerd em up with his herman smidt squaring block on his high tech job's 1985 harig. Thanks, I needed a good laugh to offset all the dead soldiers Iv'e seen over the weekend on my tv.

I can't believe a grown man wrote that... but then again, I can't believe I'm actually reading it.
--

-JN-

I can.
You need to read everything I post and you prove this FACT over and over again year after year.
Jon Banquer San Diego,CA

Says the guy who anonymously scours emastercam (where you've been banned 3 times this year), for anything and everything I post.

I can.
You need to read everything I post and you prove this FACT over and over again year after year.
Jon Banquer San Diego,CA
********* Your tiny last piece of credibilty went out the window when you typed that harig 6X12 shit. You'd of been better off cutting and pasting something, you look like a total amature now even when it comes to using a harig. You are your worst critic and your too retarded to realize it. Maybe tuesday you will be running a bridgeport table knee mill AAAAHAHAHAHFUCK!!!
Vinny,
Congratulations, seems like a wonderful opportunity for you.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

Thanks man.