Anybody running unigraphics nx5?

vinny wrote:

Vinny, I agree. Good luck at the place of employment. I was considering sending you Bing's address in Tenn. if nothing else materialized for you.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Thanks man. Send me his addy anyway, I miss that guy! At least his email addy.

Migrating the CAM customization would be pretty easy Vinny. They are just basically text files and would probably migrate without modification.
Your new employer has a TON of custom assemblies for use with Mold Wizard and Mold Flow.. They would have to migrate all of the custom hot runner, cold runner and custom gate inserts as well as all of thir custom slides, slide retainers and other custom components. Then you have to deal with a PDM upgrade and migration. Reconfiguring the flow analysis module would also be a huge pain.
The other thing is that having made the investment to do the migration, they wouldn't have gained anything except maybe ending up shut down. LOL
I'm also sure that the designers have customized the interface to the point that the product is barely recognizable as NX. They'd have to redo all of that and at some point in the future, they likely will in addition to the other stuff. They might even have a migration plan ready to go now.
UG provides an integrated product so having everyone throughout the design and build process running the same release is a big deal. I doubt that you will have any difficulty, especially not with the training you are going to be getting. Piece of cake man. Piece of cake.
JC

Now that's the kind of reply I was looking for. Thanks...!! Iv'e gotten far enough into it today to run into the wizards. Not bad stuff. I think I'm really gonna like this software. thanks again.

Mold Wizard is the Mold add on module for NX. Very powerful. No matter what though, you'll need to master the underlying product in order to make effective use of the product. Take notes. Even if they aren't 100 percent complete, they will be handy when it's just you staring at your monitor trying to remember something you know you did during your training.
JC

I downloaded it, and some good training modules. One thing I noticed, my 3 gig processor bearly runs the stuff, of course its wrapped inside of a dell motherboard so I never really expect too much. Good news is the graphics are real fast, even with a huge file loaded. That's a good sign of well written software. My guess is they prolly don't have the mold addon. But I could be wrong. The designers aren't using it from what I understand, they are using solidworks. The reason proly is there's a room full of designers, at least 10, maybe more. 10-15 seats of unigraphics would be a lot of initial cost and a neverending cycle of training. Seems everyone can run Solidworks these days right off the street.

Jon, how many hours did you waste selecting branch points, or breaking at intersections and transforming z depths? ALL because you had no working knowledge of how to select a chain.
Here, I'll give you a tutorial:
Step 1 - Select the plane mask.
Step 2 - Click a line in your chain.
Step 3 - That's it, you're done, two clicks. (Unless your name is Jon Banquer, and you were too stupid to follow step one, so now you're selecting branch points at every single vertical intersection, and making posts to usenet about how chaining is a waste of your time).

When he ran his hole last time you posted that, so I tried it. Friggen worked like a charm. Literally 2 clicks. Personally, his whole mastercam doesn't chain rant is ridiculous. Mastercam has so many options, if it's hard your prolly doing it wrong. And considering the guy lives on the forum you'd think he would know all the little gimmics? When we run software like avg antivirus, shareaza, zonealarm, etc... they come in two modes, novice and advanced. That's what he needs, a mode for mastercam, novice with limited options, lots of walk thru wizards etc...
vinny wrote:

Vinny,
So, you have a new job where they're going to provide training? Cool!
NX5 looks and acts much like NX6. So, don't be surprised if you get training on NX6 instead. With formal training you'll avoid much of the "this is not how I did it in xyzcam". Like you, I've used at least 5 other systems as well before this one. Once you understand the basic flow, you'll like it. Btw, many (most) larger companies stay a version behind for compatibility reasons. I'm on 6 now but I waited a little bit for the first point-rev release just for safety. Like most systems, full version releases are not backwards compatable.
My expertise is not mold making but of the few folks I know using the Mold/Die package of NX, they are content. The Siemens users newsgroup is your best friend for specific questions and ideas. They provide the link on the help tab. You can upload files with specific problems for others to help with. Also, the tech support group both online and phone is fully staffed and truly does try to resolve all issues if they can.
There are only a couple full time NX users other than myself here on amc from what I can tell. That's why I suggest the registered users forum.
-- Bill

Well, all Ive done so far is model, and it;s sweet and very fast. Your right about formal training, iv'e had it a few times, and it really pays off. But..I will take what I get. What I needed to hear or not hear is "this stuff is a joke". Seems like that's not the issue with this stuff. Thanks for the reply.
vinny wrote:

I was under the impression you were getting formal training...
Ok, if not, if you can get access to the CAST online tutorials that will help immensely. Also, check out "Roles". Setting the "Roles" to a basic user removes a bunch of advanced items that my clutter your brain at first.
The basic flow (if you've used SW it's similar): 1. Create or import an existing translated model. Save it. 2. Open a new part file for your cam tool path. 3. Bring in the saved part file as an assembly component. 4. Create fixtures as separate part files as well which are imported to your cam toolpath file. 5. If you need access to the models features such as projecting a curve onto the models surface, use Wave Linked geometry.
Use the "Context Sensitive Help" under Help. When you have a dialog box open that you don't understand. If you look at the "How-to" tab under that same context help, you can find examples (sometimes animated as well).
The biggest boost you could get is to find an employer who's willing to train. They are VERY hard to find these days. But, you'd be light years ahead of the self taught NX user. I recommend a community college but they take so long to get to the "meat and potatoes" that it's painful.
-- Bill

Thanks. The training i'm getting is some kind of self paced online stuff from unigraphics. They say it will take me almost 2 weeks. So they are letting me learn at least, thats formal enough for me. As far as the roles, iv'e gotten that far and will be setting it to "lame" if they are at any other role lol The good news is Iv'e ran pro e and ideas and solidworks. And at least the modeling seems the same. Gonna dive into the manufacturing hopefully tommorrow. Running some great movie tutorials tonight, and hopefully after a week of this I will be jumpstarted.
The only negative part of this pre training at home for a week before i start is Iv'e downloaded nx5, but there's no help files included. Gets an error when I click on anything or hit f1. I looked in the directories and there's no help directory whatsoever. But that's ok, this is just a jumpstart and I have found awesome online tutorials in both movie and web form. This is gonna be awesome! Thanks for the reply. It's appreciated!
vinny wrote:

Sounds like your using the CAST Online tutorials. The help files are on a separate "Documentation" cd that you need to install. It's huge and takes 20+ minutes to install.
-- Bill

They weren;t included, but when you get haxored up version I guess you cant be picky. The vid tuts im doing now are from camtasia. Pretty sweet stuff. I will search for the docs, maybe i can find a seperate install. Thanx

LOL.
About all CAST is good for is a prelude to quality formal training.

Probably close to impossible in a "s" hole like Florida.

Understatement of the year.
Siemens subscription on-line stuff sucks. Myigetit might keep a new NX user from going off the deep end for awhile. Our Siemens proposal includes a week of formal training for all 5 of us.
Siemens gave me both the CAST and the documentation CD (Help files).
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA
On Mon, 25 May 2009 18:49:57 -0700 (PDT), jon_banquer
Proposal? If your company bought it, as you stated they did last year it's no longer a proposal it's an agreement.
What happened to your "We bought it", "We will be using it in January"?

5 of you, what happened to the "We have 100+ seats of ProE"?
All this time you have been misleading (lying to) this group saying your company was buying and integrating NX6 with synch-tech starting in January.
That sure explains your refusal to answer direct questions on why Siemens gave you, the machine shop newbie a demo of NX6 and not the engineering department where such company wide CAD decisions usually are made.
The same engineering department with 100+ seats of ProE and yet still refuses to let you use one of them. Smart guys in that engineering group.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

January...WHOLLY SHIIIIT! He should be able to run it in his sleep by now.

Don't forget SmartCAM you used it and the SmartCAM guys merged with CAMAX which was swallowed up by SDRC which was swallowed up by UG which was swallowed up by Siemens.
-- Tom http://tinyurl.com/5okkgz

your right. Damn it's like that kevin bacon game the collage kids played. 6 ways of connectivity. lol

http://designsmarter.typepad.com/devonsowell/2009/05/the-elephant-in-the-room-solidworks-code-rewrite.html
Jon Banquer San Diego, CA