Source for spindle liners?

Where do you guys get spindle liners for your lathes? I would like to run the occasional 3 foot bar in mine, now that I got it running
and have a post that works fairly well. bore is 2.950"
Anyone make their own?
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Randy wrote:

Randy, I've made some of my own using PVC water pipe and gluing the appropriate size bushing on.
I've also bought some from these folks:
http://www.jfberns.com /
IIRC the store bought run about $300.
Some use a urethane liner:
http://www.trusty-cook.com/products_spindleliners.htm
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Because you said "occasional":
1) Make a ring out of plastic that attaches to the end of the stock with a set screw. Machine the OD of the ring so it fits into the spindle ID. The ring attaches to the OD of the stock with set screw. The ring moves along the inside of the spindle with the stock as it gets pulled toward the chuck.
When the ring reaches the end push the ring and bar end out the back and reload. Down side is load, unload time and longer bar end/s.
2) Depending upon the operations, stock size and material type you may be able to use (make) a liner that attaches to the end of your tube and extends 12"-18" inside.
3) Buy PVC, HDPE or other plastic pipe with ID close to your material OD (general purpose recommend within 1/16-1/32). Make rings out of plastic or other material. Ring OD matches Spindle/Draw tube ID. Ring ID matches Plastic OD (slip fit). Place rings evenly along plastic pipe, set screw attaches rings to plastic pipe. Assembly goes into spindle/draw tube. You will need a stop (something) at the end so the assembly can't back out during operation.
http://www.jfberns.com/pictures/Liner%20Overview%20MP1.jpg
http://www.jfberns.com/pictures/sl_spindle.jpg
Otherwise:
http://www.jfberns.com/Liners.htm
http://www.emachinetool.com/accessories/catalog/large.cfm?OptionFamilyID=190
larryrozer wrote:

This is what I do, but I glue the rings on. I also put O ring grooves in the rings for a push fit in the drawtube. I haven't had a problem with the spindle liner coming out with just the O rings holding it from backing out.
I also make split plastic bushings or find an O ring that fits the OD of the bar so that I can bridge different sizes of bar without having to buy every size of spindle liner.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

Now THAT! is a machining tip, thanks.
I use the set screws because different machines have different size draw tubes. I like the idea of the O'Ring to keep it from backing out. I will try that if the opportunity ever comes up again.
On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:08:55 -0800 (PST), larryrozer

Thanks to all.
Thank You, Randy
Remove 333 from email address to reply.
Hi
I had problem with Nylon Bushing used as spindle liner with Draw Tube in CNC Turning centre.
I also used O rings on the OD of this Nylon Bushing before inserting it into the Draw Tube.
Now I want to replace them with other Nylon Bushing but they got stuck in the draw tube and doesn't comes out.
Please provide me the solution, how to remove this stucked nylon bushings from the draw tube.
Regards,
Piyush
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Brute force. Largest diameter tube you can get into spindle from chuck end and whack it with a hammer.