strip path

Just had an unusual experience after copying an assembly to a cd. Upon opening the files from the cd I was prompted for the location (path) of about 15~20 components. I used the file find references feature and copied all the components to a empty folder (did not preserve folder structure). What gives?

I found that zipping the entire assembly solved the problem, but why?

Is there a way to strip the path (where the file resides) from SW files?

I've also seen some co-workers have issues with paths when doing comparisons of assemblies from one version to another. Sometimes the old version will see the folder with the new version and use some of those files (only one assembly at a time is open).

Reply to
remy martin

In options/system/external references is search external references checked?

Reply to
TOP

The algorithm that SW uses to find the referenced part file in an assembly is

*Taken from SW Office File Management
  1. RAM
  2. Directories listed in the Folders list on the File Locations tab in Tools
  3. The last path you specified to open a document
  4. The last path the system used
  5. The path where the referenced document was located when the parent document was last saved
  6. The path where the referenced document was located when the parent document was last saved with the original disk drive designation
  7. Option dialog to manually search

Chances are you are moving the files that are referenced in a way that SW algorithm above does not find the missing file. Since you move the files to a CD, the algorithm gets to Item 6 above and since the cd drive has a different letter than your HDD it moves on to 7.

When I want to share an entire assembly with my engineering service firm I open the Assembly file with SW Explorer and then Copy Document, specify a Copy To path, check Find References and check Copy Children, then when you open the Assembly from the new location all my file references are intact. When I do this I usually give the files a temporary revision number. I only use this method when I 1. share an assembly that I don't expect to get any changes back or 2. want to really mess with an assembly where I don't want to take a chance crashing my original.

Hope that helps.

Reply to
MJS