component pattern CTD

I had a mold design last week than I could repeatedly CTD. I had a component
pattern in it referencing a sub-assy. Whenever I tried to edit the component
pattern-hello desktop. That one was a linear pattern.
My new job also has a sub-assembly within a parent assembly. I located this
sub where I wanted it and then created an axis. I then used this axis to
make a circular pattern (180°) with the sub-assy. Every time I try to
complete this component pattern, I immediately CTD. It usually happens when
I am trying to change the 15° default to 180°. (by the way-who decided that
15° shoud be the default??. I almost always use 180°.)
To repeat ; inserting a sub-assy into an upper level asembly and then trying
to pattern that new sub-assy will ALWAYS CTD.
By the way, that first job would also CTD when I tried to edit component
patterns that didn't reference the sub-assy.
My VAR has confirmed the first one, but hasn't seen the second one yet.
(only wierdos like me are working this late.)
Anybody else see this?
Thanks,
jk
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
forgot to mention: SW2004, sp1 ; Win2k Pro, sp3. nVidia xgl750.
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
Yes, I've had the same problems you describe. I found that if I choose the axis and subassembly prior to selecting the component pattern command I could make it work. If I select the component pattern command then select the axis and subassy it would ctd. Also, I don't have a problem on my day job computer, only on my home machine.
Work machine is a Dell 2.8GHz Zeon 1GB ram with NVidea Quadro4 900 XGL
Home machine is a AMD 1.4 GHz 768 GB ram with Oxygen GVX1
MT
Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt
Ooops, me too, 2004, SP1.0. WinXP Pro SP1
Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt
Doesn't matter for me whether I select first or not. CTD either way.
I sure hope it's not some sort of AMD thing. My machine is an AMD 2100+ with 1gb ram.
jk
axis and subassembly prior to selecting the
pattern command then select the axis and
only on my home machine.
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
Yeah, me too. I was holding out on my next system purchase for a 64 bit AMD machine. BTW, I've also been plagued with CTD's from zooming in and out. I've played with the 2 most recent drivers from 3D Labs to no avail. Last Friday I was so fed up I formatted and reinstalled WinXP and SWX. With nothing but SWX and my graphics driver installed I thought I'd be crash free ( NOT! ). SWX crashed as I was opening my latest mold that worked fine in 2003.
MT
Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt
It's that sp 1 just sucks. My VAR confirmed they are seeing TONS of problems with sp1. Proably because the users beta-tested sp0, and SWX `tested' sp1 in-house. I would go back to sp0, but SWX wouldn't plot to my HP 700 with sp0 and will with sp1. screwed either way.....
jk
played with the 2 most recent drivers from 3D Labs
and SWX. With nothing but SWX and my graphics
was opening my latest mold that worked fine in
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
I thought you came up with a work-around for the plotting problem. Kind of hard to work around a CTD!
Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems
Reply to
Jerry Steiger
Can you export a .pdf and print from there? I do it all the time, since I have to check to make sure al the drawing views are going to print correctly anyhow.
Reply to
Dale Dunn
Good point, Jerry. I was plotting to pdf. It was a PITA, but indeed worked. I was able to work-arond this as well, by dragging and dropping another instance and mating it in place. There always seems to be a way.
I must admit to a bit of `fear-of-the-unknown' in that I haven't as yet used the WindowsInstaller to go back to a previous sp. That and time pressures have inspired me to press on with it for now. When I complete this layout, I'll take a deep breath and re-evaluate. Thanks for the perspective.
jk
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
This should be our group motto. Maybe we could get Paul Salvador or one of the other more clever folks to come up with a nice graphic to go with it and get some T-shirts made. Those who get to go to SW World could wear them to identify one another (much easier to spot than some little badge thing.) Those of us who are feeling a bit burned could have the back printed with "...to get screwed" and the SW logo.
Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems
Reply to
Jerry Steiger
LOL-and still chuckling as I type this. Thanks for the laugh.
Better get back to my `hacking and whacking' or I'll never get this blasted thing done. (no other problems since the CTD last night-wierd, but welcome.)
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
Just in case anybody really cares, this story has a wierd ending. My VAR could not reproduce the circular pattern crash. He asked me to unzip the file I had sent to him. Presto, no problem-circular apttern worked without a hitch. I then went into the copy I had made for him before zipping and that one worked as well.
The original assembly crashed 3 times trying the same thing. I even shut down the computer; Poured myself a cold refreshing beverage ; and started it up again and tried the third time. CTD instantly. That's when I opened it up again and copied the referenced files to a new folder and sent it to my VAR.
Could the act of copying have cleared up any wierdness in the original? I've seen threads where a `save as' greatly reduced file size. Could this be related somehow?? It's too late to back to the original now, because I worked around it.
Inconsistencies abound.......
jk
Reply to
John Kreutzberger
Bad! LOL! 8^)
..
Jerry Steiger wrote:
Reply to
Paul Salvador
Hey John,
Just a far out guess and possible solution (because lately it seems to be working for me), have you tried to turn on "Use Software OpenGL"?
I don't remember what OS/sp your are using but for me, over the past few months, it seems, after a long investigation and uninstall/installs and drivers, that upgrading my Win2000 to sp4 "may" be causing most of my CTD's (but what is weird is I can go w/o a CTD for a day using my drivers,.. then, wambam... 10-20 in a day!?)? Otherwise, it is both SW2003 sp5 and SW2004sp1 which are causing these problems. So, the stability for me at this time is to turn on "Use Software OpenGL". (arrrrgggghhh)
.. (umpa lumpa paying beta tester)
John Kreutzberger wrote:
Reply to
Paul Salvador