use of reference points

SW2004 allows the creation of "Reference Points" that look very interesting because you can set them in the center of any face, or by projecting a point on any face, or evenly spaced along a curve... However, what can you do with them ??? I was unable to constrain any 3D sketch geometry to them, or to create ref. planes tangent to the surface at one of those points. Surprisingly, I could create a ref plane normal to a curve at one ref point...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

Hi Philippe, Here are a couple of discussions we had recently...

and...

They are another one of those "almost there" features.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson

looks so... or even a "feature that duplicates another one". In my SolidSketch add-in, I create such points in a 3D sketch, so 100 points create one feature instead of 100... A real improvement from SW would have to impement arc length coordinates working on any curve. I'm still thinking on how to do it efficiently...

Reply to
Philippe Guglielmetti

I just noticed that if you create a plane on the Reference Point, then create a sketch on that plane, you can drag a Sketch Point onto the Reference Point and it will create a "Coincident" relation.

If you try and pre-select the two, you can't add the relation. Strange.

Mike Wilson

Mike J. Wilson