A Circle Defines a Plane...So

Is there some reason a user should not be able to Insert a plane with an additional choice by selecting a circle to define the plane?

There is one specific reason I've wanted to be able to do this for things such as the intersection of 2 cones which is common in typical round molded parts where 2 cores meet. It is always possible to do a workaround, but I wonder about simplifications.

Is there another magic method to getting a plane to be defined & linked to where a circle exists with a single step? Obviously this is where no plane surface inside or outside the circle can be selected.

Thanks - Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Bo,

Amen...

Been wanting that for a long time. You should be able to select "ANY" circular or semicircular (arc) edge to define a plane. The best you can do now is create three points (using a 3D sketch), constrain them to the edge, and create the plane from three points. A lot of steps for such a simple thing.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark M

Indeed. I've always found the 'Create Plane' tools to be missing some of the most basic ways to define a plane.

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

There are a couple that I can think of, but none as nice as just selecting a circle or an arc.

You could select the temp axis through the cone and the centerpoint of the circle, which would give you perpendicular to curve at point. Or you could add two points non-colinear with the center and make a 3 point plane (lines and points). If you have a non-180 deg arc, you could select the endpoints and the center, or if you have an elipse (conic section), you could also pick 3 pts.

I agree, though, I've often wished for some additional ways to make planes.

matt

snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com (Bo Clawson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

Reply to
matt

Well these sorts of improvements are the type that would speed up work without code bloat & tricky error checking code conniption fits.

We ought to suggest easy new plane creation options to the SolidWorks crew.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Actually, a circle may be a cylinder .... and arcs just bounded circles .... on some systems .... How are they represented in the SW & ParaSolid database? In IGES from SW?

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

I would like to see several simple innovations for the create plane function.

It would also be nice to define a plane with two parallel axes. I run into this situation periodically, but have to use a workaround - typically by making a point colinear with one axis and creating the plane with an axis and a point.

Reply to
John Eric Voltin

snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com (Bo Clawson) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I was just thinking that this would be an excellent project for a beginning macro hack.

Reply to
Dale Dunn

I think SW needs to open a 5th grade book on Euclidian geometry and make use of what is taught of the construction of a plane. This is not higher math! We now have to choose SW geometry rather than something that was thought of

2,500 years ago. Come on SW, surely you've had time to learn that by now.

Reply to
Bob

Cliff,

Everything that is a true arc, in SW, is represented as such in IGES. Parasolid isn't a neutral format, just the core geometry. But you already knew that.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

I don't think that will work with a circular edge though. Unless I've missed the ability to select the centerpoint of a circular edge somewhere....

Jim S.

Reply to
Jim Sculley

How about we ask Solidworks to put up the following for consideration for creating a plane:

  1. Any 2D Circle or Arc
  2. 2 parallel lines (a very common ocurrance in machine design)
  3. A plane defined as being midway between 2 other parallel planes (not a must have, but convenient)
  4. ...add any others

Bo Clawson snipped-for-privacy@tilikum.com

Reply to
Bo Clawson

You can just select one line and an endpoint of the other... unless you are talking about 2 axes, which do not have endpoints.

Reply to
Arlin

These are excellent suggestions. As a workaround for #3, you can use the "Mid Surface" command if you have to faces (I think they need to be a solid, or maybe it's a bug?).

Mike Wilson

Reply to
Mike J. Wilson

If it is not problematic to program, I would see an advantage in allowing plane creation to use any planer edge or sketch, i.e. conic section or spline, rather than just arcs.

JJ

Reply to
JJ

Indeed axes work in assembly solids is where it is most convenient when 2 solids parts with axes (0ften round rotating parts on orthogonal planes) need more detail that is revealed or assembled on the plane between the axes.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

Well if it is a conic edge, it has to be the special condition where the edge is planar. Most conic intersections result in intersection edges that are non-planar. I may misinterpret the desired end you have in mind, though.

Allowing any planar object to define a plane sounds like a positive, though I can see a plane being so defined and then the shapes generating the planar surface changing and then the shape is no longer planar resulting in a real geometry mess.

Bo

Reply to
Bo Clawson

I meant planer sections only but you raise a good point about the potential for something to become nonplaner.

JJ

Reply to
JJ