File Management in Wildfire 3 / 4

Where is the best place to located data files to prevent data corruption or system crashes? I would assume as short a path as possible in the c: root directory and not in My Documents directory. I am running a Windows XPP SP2 on a low end pc workstation .

Reply to
edge

I put data files 2-3 subfolders nested within My Dox, different folders for different projects. On XP with NTFS, I've never had a problem that I suspected that the file system or file structure was responsible for. The concerns you're expressing sound like carryovers from Win 3.1 and older versions of Pro/e when it couldn't handle spaces in folder names and it was even very seriously limited on the length of file names (BTW, it still doen't let you create part names with spaces in them). I think most of those problems have been solved even before Wildfire. But definitely with Wildfire's file browser, if you can get to it, you can read and write to it. Are you having some kind of issues we should be aware of?

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

No issues yet, I am getting ready to install the software for training on Wildfire. I do have experience on 2001 and earlier, and always kept data files in root dir as you mentioned. I am running NTFS on this machine and using My Docs would keep file the structure simpler.

Reply to
edge

When I took the System Managememt vlass, the first thing the instructor said when talking about installation was :Don't load Pro/E into a folder structure with spaces in the folder names."

I have always used c:\PTC as my loadpoint and c:\PTC\Startup as my start-in folder.

Reply to
Ben & Mickie Loosli