"save as pdf" looks terrible

Ok, so I've been reading a lot of posts about changing pen definition files and such. It sounds rediculously complicated.

I never plot. I never print directly from Pro/e. Everything becomes a pdf first (i guess this is just printing with the distiller) using save-as then pdf.

My problem is that even jacked up to 600dpi, my pdf's are ugly. My line widths for everything are just too large.

If I save-as to dwg and then create a pdf from dwg-editor (AutoCAD) they look fantastic.

Is there any easy fix for this? Distiller options I can change? Or am I going to have to futz with my table.pnt?

Anybody have a good table.pnt that I can have a copy of that makes great pdfs?

Reply to
Aggrevated

Oh, and I can't seem to find my table.pnt file anyway. Supposed to be at \text\table.pnt but it isn't there.

Reply to
Aggrevated

Create a file with the following:

pen 1 thickness .005 in pen 2 thickness .005 in pen 3 thickness .005 in pen 4 thickness .005 in pen 5 thickness .005 in pen 6 thickness .005 in pen 7 thickness .005 in pen 8 thickness .005 in

Name it table.pnt Put it anywhere you want it. In config.pro, include an option called PEN_TABLE_FILE and point it to your table.pnt file; or, create a PCF file for your printer and include the path. The options in the file will read like this:

plotter POSTSCRIPT button_name Generic Postscript button_help Print to any printer that supports generic postscript format. plot_drawing_format YES default plot_segmented NO default plot_roll_media NO default plot_label YES default plot_handshake hardware default create_separate_files NO default plot_with_panzoom NO default rotate_plotting NO default allow_file_naming YES plot_name NO plot_translate .13 .13 default interface_quality 6 default pen_slew 0.000000 default plot_destination printer default plotter_command windows_print_manager pen_table_file h:\table.pnt plot_sheets ALL default paper_size D default paper_outline NO default plot_clip NO default plot_area NO default

In the 'Help>Fundementals>Plotting and Printing', it tells what all these options mean and do. You'll have to customize yours to work with your printer, including creating your own custom plotter command.

The last thing I can think of that you need to set in your config.pro is the option pdf_use_pentable to yes.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Yes, it is ridiculously complicated.

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Someone recently recommended this option for cleaning up pdf line weights and other printing problems: USE_SOFTWARE_LINEFONTS set to yes.

Has anything helped so far?

David Janes

Reply to
Janes

Yeah, I did what you suggested and made a table.pnt that looked like

pen 1 thickness .003 in pen 2 thickness .003 in pen 3 thickness .003 in pen 4 thickness .003 in pen 5 thickness .003 in pen 6 thickness .003 in pen 7 thickness .003 in pen 8 thickness .003 in

And it works pretty good.

I might try out the "sofware linefonts" thingy when I'm in the mood to tinker

Reply to
Aggrevated