Save as PDF locks up SolidWorks

Must be the Halloween spooks working early.

All of the sudden (no system changes) my drawings are getting clipped when I print to an HP LaserJet 5000. And, on top of that, saving to PDF is locking up SolidWorks.

I rebooted the computer, print problems remain. Reinstalled the printer to no avail.

I was able to generate one PDF after the rebooot, but subsequent saveas's lock it up again.

Anyone?

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

What version of SW. Have you used SaveAs PDF before today with no problems. I wrote a little macro to saveas PDF in the same folder. Maybe skipping the dialog will save you the trouble. If you have "." in your Part names other that before ".SLDDRW".

This saves the .PDF with the same name as the drawing title in the same directory It closes each drawing without saving changes after saving. (it also closes any part or assembly that is opened without saving changes) modify it as you will

Corey Scheich

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks Dim Part As SldWorks.ModelDoc2 Dim AsDwgDoc As SldWorks.DrawingDoc Dim boolstatus As Boolean Dim longstatus As Long Dim Annotation As Object Dim Gtol As Object Dim DatumTag As Object Dim FeatureData As Object Dim Feature As Object Dim Component As Object Dim PartName() As String Dim MyView As Feature Dim ThisSheet As SldWorks.Sheet

Public Enum swDocumentTypes_e swDocNONE = 0 ' Used to be TYPE_NONE swDocPART = 1 ' Used to be TYPE_PART swDocASSEMBLY = 2 ' Used to be TYPE_ASSEMBLY swDocDRAWING = 3 ' Used to be TYPE_DRAWING swDocSDM = 4 ' Solid data manager. End Enum

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc While Not Part Is Nothing If Part.GetType = swDocDRAWING Then Set AsDwgDoc = Part

PartName = Split(Part.GetPathName, ".", -1, vbTextCompare)

Set ThisSheet = AsDwgDoc.GetCurrentSheet

Part.Extension.SelectByID ThisSheet.GetName, "SHEET", 0.025,

0.025, 0.025, False, 1, Nothing AsDwgDoc.EditSketch AsDwgDoc.ClearSelection Part.ViewZoomtofit2 Part.SaveAs2 (PartName(0)) & ".pdf", 0, True, True End If swApp.QuitDoc (Part.GetTitle) On Error Resume Next Set Part = swApp.ActiveDoc Wend End Sub

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Good luck with IT!!! =)

hope all goes well

Corey

explorer.exe.

Reply to
Corey Scheich

Thanks Corey.

I fixed the problem by removing "Save to PDF" from my add-ins, then deleting the Bluebeam "printer" from my printers folder. I "added in" the add-in, and now all is well. I think there is a problem with another printer on my system. Seems that IT removed a printer I had connected to from the server, replaced it, and now I cannot delete it from my printer folder. I get an error whenever I select the printer to remove it and it closes explorer.exe. I reinstalled another printer from the network and now the problems are showing up. They can't (or won't) fix it, and I'm stuck looking for ways to print to my HP again. I don't believe it to be a SolidWorks problem anymore, although I can print the PDF files to the new printer just fine. Settings, settings, settings...just what I wanted to fool with on a Friday.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Doyle

I also have the problem that "Save as PDF" from drawings locks up Solidworks. It happens totally at random and is not document-specific.

Typically, I can save two or three PDF's and then have the lock-up. However it also sometimes happens on the first saveas after a reboot. I have tried:

- deleting the Bluebeam printer and letting the add-in re-install it

- un-installing and re-installing solidworks 2003 and 2004

- testing two different systems (both are decent Workstations with Microsoft office Win2000Sp4, Lotus notes... nothing far from ordinary)

- placing all files on the local hard drive and saving the PDF to the hard drive- same bad result.

- increasing virtual memory to 4X RAM (1 Gig DDR RAM, Intel processor)

None of these things worked

Another thing that happens is that during the lock-up a file in the temp folder is being written and it will not stop until I close Solidworks with task manager or until this file is so big it fills the hard drive !! The file is a .ps file. that Bluebeam creates for temporary use,

Does anyone know a solution for this problem? Does anyone else have this problem?

This happens in SW2003sp5 and SW2004SP1 (Windows 2000sp4) on both the systems that use at work. The only time I have escaped this problem is on my home license on my home computer.

My computer at home is not as powerful as what I have at work.. the most significant difference is that my home PC has winXP standard.

Yes, I have talked to the VAR about it. I have tried what they have suggested.

mark

Reply to
Mark