Is it possible? SAVE & Save as PDF in one click

I haven't really thought this thru, but I was wondering it I could make
a button (probably with a macro, which I know nothing about) that would
Save the Drawing AND Save it as a PDF at the same time.
Seems like it might be a useful thing. We've been relying more and more
on PDF's around here and making sure the PDF matches the latest drawing
is just one more thing I'd rather not have to think about.
I'm still using 2003, but will be moving to 2004 pretty soon (I've been
waiting for my new computer to be approved)
Thanks
Whit
Reply to
hayduke
Should be easy to do that kind of macro. There's propably nothing about PDF creation in SW04 API (because we have this "nice" Bluebeam-thing in 04..), but you can always use something like GhostScript and FreeDist to create PDF's for free via printing to ps-files...with any version of SW. There is also macro available that opens drawings from specified folder and creates PDF's out of them (with GS and FreeDist)...
I would really like to see an option in SW05 to "update PDF when saving" for drawings..Let's see if I have time to write something what you want, it would be usefull for me as well..
Reply to
Markku Lehtola
You could setup either a macro that you would attach to a button. (drawback is if your user uses the wrong button or file>save your pdf still won't update.) You could setup a macro or even better an exe to watch for drawing saves and when a drawing is saved create a copy in pdf format. I setup a macro to update custom props during save and it seems to be working well, the other users in the group don't even know it is happening and they don't need to use a custom button. I also have one that will save a drawing as PDF in the same directory. I could combine these for you for a fee. Send me an e-mail if you are interested. Unfortunately I can't compile an exe currently so a macro is all I have to offer but they can be setup to start pretty reliably with SW.
Corey
> I haven't really thought this thru, but I was wondering it I could make > a button (probably with a macro, which I know nothing about) that would > Save the Drawing AND Save it as a PDF at the same time. > > Seems like it might be a useful thing. We've been relying more and more > on PDF's around here and making sure the PDF matches the latest drawing > is just one more thing I'd rather not have to think about. > > I'm still using 2003, but will be moving to 2004 pretty soon (I've been > waiting for my new computer to be approved) > > Thanks > Whit > > -- > This is a free country: and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, tags, > stickers, back ground checks and tax receipts to prove it. > > >
Reply to
Corey Scheich
I had found this message the other day when I searched for PDF in this group. Maybe it will help you out.
Hi group,
Our product "ToolWorks PDF Writer" can automatically write a PDF-file every time you save or close your SolidWorks document. Then you always have up-to-date PDF-files of your SoildWorks Drawings.
You could also use ToolWorks PDF Writer together with some batch-printing software like Task Scheduler to print PDF's. ToolWorks PDF Writer can save a PDF-file silent, just using the same filename as the SolidWorks drawing.
Download a free 14-day trial from:
Best regards Jess G. Frandsen
> You could setup either a macro that you would attach to a button. (drawback > is if your user uses the wrong button or file>save your pdf still won't > update.) > You could setup a macro or even better an exe to watch for drawing saves and > when a drawing is saved create a copy in pdf format. > I setup a macro to update custom props during save and it seems to be > working well, the other users in the group don't even know it is happening > and they don't need to use a custom button. > I also have one that will save a drawing as PDF in the same directory. I > could combine these for you for a fee. Send me an e-mail if you are > interested. Unfortunately I can't compile an exe currently so a macro is > all I have to offer but they can be setup to start pretty reliably with SW. > > Corey > >
> > I haven't really thought this thru, but I was wondering it I could make > > a button (probably with a macro, which I know nothing about) that would > > Save the Drawing AND Save it as a PDF at the same time. > > > > Seems like it might be a useful thing. We've been relying more and more > > on PDF's around here and making sure the PDF matches the latest drawing > > is just one more thing I'd rather not have to think about. > > > > I'm still using 2003, but will be moving to 2004 pretty soon (I've been > > waiting for my new computer to be approved) > > > > Thanks > > Whit > > > > -- > > This is a free country: and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, tags, > > stickers, back ground checks and tax receipts to prove it. > > > > > >
Reply to
Richard Charney
Hmm, that looks sort of interesting, thanks. I might give it a whirl at home, but as I was going thru the DL the demo steps it asked me for my SWX serial number. I thought this a little odd, is that 'normal' for a company that's not SWX to want my SN?
Richard Charney wrote: > > I had found this message the other day when I searched for PDF in this group. > Maybe it will help you out. > > Hi group, > > Our product "ToolWorks PDF Writer" can automatically write a PDF-file every > time you save or close your SolidWorks document. Then you always have > up-to-date PDF-files of your SoildWorks Drawings. > > You could also use ToolWorks PDF Writer together with some batch-printing > software like Task Scheduler to print PDF's. ToolWorks PDF Writer can save a > PDF-file silent, just using the same filename as the SolidWorks drawing. > > Download a free 14-day trial from: >
> Best regards > Jess G. Frandsen >
> > You could setup either a macro that you would attach to a button. (drawback > > is if your user uses the wrong button or file>save your pdf still won't > > update.) > > You could setup a macro or even better an exe to watch for drawing saves and > > when a drawing is saved create a copy in pdf format. > > I setup a macro to update custom props during save and it seems to be > > working well, the other users in the group don't even know it is happening > > and they don't need to use a custom button. > > I also have one that will save a drawing as PDF in the same directory. I > > could combine these for you for a fee. Send me an e-mail if you are > > interested. Unfortunately I can't compile an exe currently so a macro is > > all I have to offer but they can be setup to start pretty reliably with SW. > > > > Corey > > > >
> > > I haven't really thought this thru, but I was wondering it I could make > > > a button (probably with a macro, which I know nothing about) that would > > > Save the Drawing AND Save it as a PDF at the same time. > > > > > > Seems like it might be a useful thing. We've been relying more and more > > > on PDF's around here and making sure the PDF matches the latest drawing > > > is just one more thing I'd rather not have to think about. > > > > > > I'm still using 2003, but will be moving to 2004 pretty soon (I've been > > > waiting for my new computer to be approved) > > > > > > Thanks > > > Whit > > > > > > -- > > > This is a free country: and I have the permits, licenses, stamps, tags, > > > stickers, back ground checks and tax receipts to prove it. > > > > > > > > >
Reply to
hayduke
I noticed that too. I was wondering myself why they want or need to have your S/N for SW's.
> Hmm, that looks sort of interesting, thanks. I might give it a whirl at > home, but as I was going thru the DL the demo steps it asked me for my > SWX serial number. I thought this a little odd, is that 'normal' for a > company that's not SWX to want my SN? > > > Richard Charney wrote: > > > > I had found this message the other day when I searched for PDF in this group. > > Maybe it will help you out. > > > > Hi group, > > > > Our product "ToolWorks PDF Writer" can automatically write a PDF-file every > > time you save or close your SolidWorks document. Then you always have > > up-to-date PDF-files of your SoildWorks Drawings. > > > > You could also use ToolWorks PDF Writer together with some batch-printing > > software like Task Scheduler to print PDF's. ToolWorks PDF Writer can save a > > PDF-file silent, just using the same filename as the SolidWorks drawing. > > > > Download a free 14-day trial from: > >
> > > Best regards > > Jess G. Frandsen > >
> > > You could setup either a macro that you would attach to a button. (drawback > > > is if your user uses the wrong button or file>save your pdf still won't > > > update.) > > > You could setup a macro or even better an exe to watch for drawing saves and > > > when a drawing is saved create a copy in pdf format. > > > I setup a macro to update custom props during save and it seems to be > > > working well, the other users in the group don't even know it is happening > > > and they don't need to use a custom button. > > > I also have one that will save a drawing as PDF in the same directory. I > > > could combine these for you for a fee. Send me an e-mail if you are > > > interested. Unfortunately I can't compile an exe currently so a macro is > > > all I have to offer but they can be setup to start pretty reliably with SW. > > > > > > Corey > > > > > >
Reply to
Richard Charney

Site Timeline