Re: replacing files in SW2004

This is not new to 2004....has been like this for a long time....You have to rename the part or delete one of them

Krister

I'm having this problem with SW2004/PR1: > I'm in an assembly, trying to replace one part, and get this: > "You cannot replace a component with another of the same name (but > diferent directory)." > > So how do you do it then? You can't RMB->Component properties and change > the path anymore. You HAVE to go File->Replace. All i can see is to open > the part up and do a SaveAs, which replaces the file in the assembly. > > Or am I missing something? > > --nick e.
Reply to
Krister L

This is the same in SW2003. Solution is to supress the part/assembly you want to replace, then open the file you want to replace it with (with the same name). And unsuppress the part/assembly in your main assy.

Robbert

Reply to
Robbert

Geee, thanks Robbert..... that's a handy tip.

Reply to
Cam Jackson

Cam Jackson quipped:

yeP. sounds easier than the way i've been doing it.

thx, nick e.

Reply to
Nick E.

Try surpressing the part and then replacing it while it is surpressed. I think that has worked for me in the past.

CAD ROB

Reply to
Cad Rob

But with this method you cannot replace a part with an assy or an assy with a part. Don't know why, any one else know?

CAD ROB

Reply to
Cad Rob

I don't "know" why, but I suspect that it is because the References method is old and no one at SW thought to update it when they allowed us to swap parts and assemblies.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger