Too many clicks to edit a sketch (WF2)

After spending 3 years using SolidEdge, and now 2 months back in Pro/E, there is one thing that is driving me nuts: the 'depth' of editing a sketch.

In SE, I could right-click on any feature and choose 'Edit Sketch' and start working. In Pro/E, the fastest way I've found is Edit Definition, Placement, Define, Sketch.

(Likewise, cancelling an edit from a sketch is ferociously annoying too, but that's a slightly other story)

Is there a quicker way to handle this, or must I rely on a Mapkey?

Thanks,

Dave

Reply to
dgeesaman

If you have features with embedded sketches, expand the feature in the feature tree, then right click the sketch, edit definition on that takes you straight to the sketcher dialogue box, bypassing the 'placement, define, sketch' rubbish.

Reply to
John Wade

Adding to John's reply...

If you don't need to redefine sketch entities; RMB, Edit (not Def). Regen.

Yes it is. But I haven't been quite annoyed enough to investigate a mapkey that'll throw me all the way back up to top level. I do remember seeing one posted, don't remember where (here, Eng-Tips, mcadcentral?).

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Ok, that's an improvment, but still takes a few clicks to get you all the way into sketcher.

Jeff, I did make a mapkey just after I posted - took all of 5 minutes. Select a feature and type 'se' (Sketch Edit), and it will launch to the sketcher. From sketcher, type 'sc' (Sketch Cancel) and it will take you back and discard all changes to the feature. As much as I hate to crutch on mapkeys for basic stuff, I'll be using this one regularly.

Mapkey nitty-gritty below.

Dave

mapkey sc @MAPKEY_NAMECancel editing a feature from the sketch screen;\ mapkey(continued) @MAPKEY_LABELSketch - Cancel Changes;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `ProCmdSketQuit.sket_r`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ FocusIn `UI Message Dialog` `yes`;~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `yes`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `Odui_Dlg_01` `stdbtn_2`;~ FocusIn `UI Message Dialog` `yes`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `yes`;~ Enter `main_dlg_cur` `dashInst0.Quit`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `dashInst0.Quit`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ FocusIn `UI Message Dialog` `yes`;~ Activate `UI Message Dialog` `yes`; mapkey se @MAPKEY_NAMEEdit the sketch of a feature;@MAPKEY_LABELEdit Sketch;;\ mapkey(continued) ~ RButtonArm `main_dlg_cur` `PHTLeft.AssyTree` `node6`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ PopupOver `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu`1 `PHTLeft.AssyTree`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Open `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu`;~ Close `main_dlg_cur` `ActionMenu`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `Redefine`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `main_dlg_cur` `chkbn.extrev_1_placement.0`1 ;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `extrev_1_placement.0.0` `PH.Sketch`;\ mapkey(continued) ~ Activate `Odui_Dlg_01` `stdbtn_3`;

Reply to
dgeesaman

Thanks. I'll give it a gander.

I looked for the cancel thread I was thinking about;

case you want to see if anything looks attractive.

I never paid that much attention to it and did notice something interesting at the bottom of the page ...

CTRL+A seems to cancel out of feature creation or edit requiring only clicking the Yes's.

... new one on me.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

I don't think it should be this difficult. The feature probably has a plus next to it. When you click expand the feature, it'll have the sketch listed as a reference. Instead of 'Edit>Definition"ing the feature, do it on the sketch. When that last dumbass holdover from Menu Manager comes up and makes you click that last button to Sketch, do so, and you're in Sketcher. Obviously, it could be easier (in WF & SE), such as all the sketches being visible all the time, and being able to just click drag any part of any sketch at any time and have the related feature change in real time as you did it. I know there'd be complaints about this (over-crowded feature tree, glutted graphics window, etc.) but what I described isn't too difficult, is it?

Try ^A

Reply to
David Janes

Being lazy, I just use the 'activate window' button to cancel operations, then click 'yes'

Reply to
John Wade

Yup, the other "check mark" icon (I think it's the little one) or typing ctrl-a gets you out of a lot of Menu Manager jams.

Reply to
David Janes