Editing Linear Sketch pattern ?

Once a linear sketch pattern is created, added to a feature, and closed, can that sketch be re-opened and have the linear pattern edited?

Reply to
What-a-Tool

Yes, edit the sketch, click on one of the patterned items and then right click on the patterned constraint in the line properties box and choose edit pattern.

Timelord

Reply to
Timelord

To cool! Knew there must be a way, but I couldn't figure it out and I hadn't stumbled across that!

Thanks - Sean

Reply to
What-a-Tool

You can also access the "edit linear pattern" option within the pull down menu which appears with a RMB (right mouse button) click on any one of the patterned entities in a sketch opened for editing.

No matter how you get there, the only drawback is that the dialog box for pattern editing has the spacing dimension greyed out. To get around this, all you have to do is to manually add a dimension between any of the patterned instances.

Once such a dimension exists, the pattern spacing can be changed even when the sketch isn't open. Just double click on the sketch name in the Feature Manager tree, change the dimension and rebuild via the stoplight icon...

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
POH

A cool thing about this is that if you don't have a dimension on it, you can drag a point of the sketch, and the direction and spacing moves dynamically. You could probably also set it up so that other changes in the model make the spacing/direction update parametrically.

Sorry if you all knew this already. I've been pretty biased against the sketch patterns because they used to be pretty bad (solved so slowly, weren't editable, funky interface, silly name - step and repeat), so I never discovered this functionality until now.

matt

Reply to
matt

I think this was shown in one of the training manuals circa SW2003.

Reply to
TOP

Matt,

Thanks for the tip about dragging. For it to work, there must be relations and/or dimensions to fix the position of the patterned (base) entity. Otherwise the entire pattern gets dragged with no change in spacing...

BTW, there is a dialog box option for "add dimension" which can be used when the sketch pattern is first defined.

I think it's a shame that existing patterned sketch entities are not obvious as such to the user (unless the little relations icons are displayed), so handling them correctly when editing an old sketch can be awkward - even to the original author.

Having a color for patterned instances different from the default sketch entity could be helpful!

Per O. Hoel

Reply to
POH