Driving sketch pattern with an equation

Is there a way to drive the dimensions for a sketch pattern with an equation? I cannot seem to get access to the dimensions (quantity or
spacing) for a sketch pattern unless I edit the pattern by rmb on the first entity of the pattern, but even doing that I cannot seem to get access to the dimension name so that I can link it into an equation.
Does anyone know the correct syntax for referencing a sketch pattern in an equation?
Thanks,
Sam

I think sketch patterns are strange in that you need to add dimensions/constraints in order to fully constrain the geometry - unlike component patterns.
So.....if you add a dimension between the source sketch geometry and the first patterned iinstance, you should be able to access this dimension outside of the sketch, just like any other.
John H
That worked for the spacing but what about the quantities? I would like to be able to control the spacing and quantity with equations.
Your suggestion works for the spacing but I am still not sure how to access the quantities.
Thanks

I don't know either - for that reason I rarely use sketch patterns.
John H

Patterns in sketches cannot have the number of instances controlled parametrically.
Sketch Patterns are not very well done in SolidWorks. For the reasons that the others gave you, it's better to use a Feature Pattern if you can. There are other reasons as well. Feature Patterns are generally faster to build. (Check Matt Lombard's web site, probably under his Rules of Thumb.) Feature Patterns allow you to insert a Featrure Driven Component Pattern.
Jerry Steiger