Fancy pattern - continued

Still haven't got a perfect solution, but these are the two methods I've come up with so far:

Method 1: 'edit definition' and convert an overbuilt grid pattern to a table pattern and then delete the outlyers manually from the table as they should lie in vaguely adjacent rows [pick the rows then edit > delete] - this should be quicker than creating all the instance coordinates.

Method 2: I thought their should be a way to 'unpattern' a pattern and make the instances independent - this way you could again delete the outlyers

Patterned a reference.

Create a feature which is referenced only to the leader of the previous pattern, group it , and creat a reference pattern [to the previous pattern] of the group. The instances are then referenced to independent references - the original patterned reference.

This then gives you the option under the right click menu to unpattern the reference pattern [this option is only available if you have grouped the instance and it is suitably referenced] - this collapses the pattern allowing you to delete individual groups.

It might still take a little time to delete the outlyers relative to the boundary but still a reasonably quick workflow.

Original problem;

Imagine a chain mail - intersecting links. The X and Y pitch between the links IS NOT equal.

I want the pattern to fill a planar area with an irregular boundary [the fill pattern functionality will only allow an equal xy pitch].

I can't simply cut a large 'square' area pattern down to size because I don't want any partial links on the perimeter.

Reply to
Sean Kerslake

Hi Sean,

Although the 2 methods you suggest would work, I wonder how easy it would be to update the model if the boundary changes. Also deletting the pattern of a group can cause frustration later. It really depends on the complexity of your model.

I don't know the shape of the boundary or how many links you need to get rid of after the pattern is created, but here's what I'd do... Create the first link how ever you need it to work. Then create an 'extra' surface from the solid link (create>surface>from solid). Group the link features if you wish, though I don't think it's necessary. Then after the pattern is created you can use the 'extra' surfaces to cut away the links you don't want.

If you have a bunch to remove just cut away most of them using the boundary and use the 'extra' surfaces to complete or remove the partial links. You could also, depending on the shape of the boundary, have the first link follow a curve. That may reduce the number of unnecessary links.

Have a good one, Dave

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak

Just another thought... You might have to create the link as a surface and create the 'extra' surface from quilt so it works. Creating the 'extra' surface from solid might want to create it from all the links instead of just one. So starting out with surfaces would probably be the safest bet.

Reply to
Dave Ignaczak