modifying a pattern

Hi Is it possible to add a driving dimension to a pattern, so that it has 3 instead of two? I can't see any way to to this.

cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

One way that comes to mind goes something like....

1) Create an offset datum plane, say from XY. 2) Create a feature on that plane offset from XZ, YZ. 3) Pattern the feature using the XZ, YZ offset values as seed dimensions. 4) Group the offset plane and the pattern. 5) You can now use the plane offset to seed a pattern of the group to array into the 3rd dimension.

I guess the same thing would work to pattern components (?). I'm sorta new to Pro/E, don't use patterns extensively and pattern dependancies and setup are sometimes hard for me to fathom, so I'd be interested in hearing other methods. (I've read that there are some nice improvements to pattern creation methods coming with WF2. They'll be welcomed.)

=======================

Reply to
Jeff Howard

: > cheers : > Craig : >

: >

About 3 months ago, in the first week of November, members asked several questions on patterns and started about three threads on this subject. While this material never got close to exhausting the topic, much valuable information got presented. Since I'm assuming the same as Jeff Howard, that this question about a third driving dimension, is asking in effect about a three dimensional pattern or pattern of a pattern, let me point out S.T.'s November 7 contribution on this topic. Jeff presented a similar idea in his posted reply. In other words, yes, Pro/e is capable of creating a 3D array, though it doesn't make it easy.

But, I thought that other things might be meant by a third driving dimension. There are only two directions that can use variables, but have you noticed ~ on the first direction, it asks for other dimensions/parameters to vary, before you go on to the second direction. Wildfire is a little different. In the first direction accumulator, you can keep selecting dimensions till you run out. I created a simple, flat sheet. Put a small, rectangular extruded boss on it. Then patterned it. For the first direction, I picked the x direction dimension. It asks for an increment. I gave it 20. I also picked the y direction dimension (holding down the ctrl key, of course) and varied it by 1 then piced the z dimension of the boss and varied it by 1 and varied the height of the boss and varied it by 1 ~ four driving dimensions for the first direction of the array. And no second direction, though I could have added one. And more than one driving dimension could have been included in the second direction. It's an interesting tool to play with, to see just what it's capable of doing, because it's generally a lot more capable than people realize.

Speaking of new and interesting pattern stuff to explore in Wildfire, try the new fill pattern. I needs a chain of edges or a closed curve ( in any shape). Any feature inside the edges or curves can be patterned. You can give the pattern a border (an amount it has to stay away from the curves/edges), spacing and angle. Then it fills the area. Very nice!

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Hi David I'm still using 2001, I think we'll have a chance to update this month. The problem isn't in defining a pattern, its REdefining it. I had a curve patterned several time, with points along it. A number of features referenced these, and features further from down it. The client wanted changes that would involve varying the length of the curve. The curve pattern is only in patterned in one way, with two dimensions, locating the start of the curve. The length was the same. I was hoping to add a dimension to the pattern. I spent this morning deleting a dozen patterns and starting again.

cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

: > : > cheers : > : > Craig : > : >

: > : >

: >

[...]

: : Hi David : I'm still using 2001, I think we'll have a chance to update this month. : The problem isn't in defining a pattern, its REdefining it. I had a curve : patterned several time, with points along it. A number of features : referenced these, and features further from down it. : The client wanted changes that would involve varying the length of the : curve. The curve pattern is only in patterned in one way, with two : dimensions, locating the start of the curve. The length was the same. I was : hoping to add a dimension to the pattern. I spent this morning deleting a : dozen patterns and starting again. : : cheers : Craig : Craig, if you needed to add the curve length to vary, why couldn't you have redefined the pattern and included the curve length with first direction. You can use any dimension in the feature you are patterning, not just the location. The problem with picking a curve length to vary could be, depending on your needs, that the dimension increment goes in only one direction ~ bigger or smaller. YOu might then have to set up a relation with a formula to govern how it changed. You might even be able to use a formula instead of a simple numerical increment for varying feauture size. It's possible to even use the pattern position in the equation, using p#, the pattern reference parameter.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

David thats what i was trying to do. How do i redefine the pattern to add the curve length. i was then going to turn it into a table pattern to give me more flexibility.

cheers Craig

Reply to
craig stevens

: > David Janes : >

: : David : thats what i was trying to do. How do i redefine the pattern to add the : curve length. i was then going to turn it into a table pattern to give me : more flexibility. : : cheers : Craig : Well, I know this is going to sound strange, but I don't see why it wouldn't work to highlight the pattern in the model tree, RMB 'Redefine' and either reselect or select a new, additional dimension to vary for the first direction. Granted, I can't remember much about 2001 and have no desire to go back, but it seems to me that that would be the way to redefine the pattern, something that hasn't really changed through all the revs. Works much the same in Wildfire, except that it's much simpler to change the pattern data to a table. It's all in the same place.

David Janes

Reply to
David Janes

Thanks, David. I'll have to search the archives for the discussions.

Reply to
Jeff Howard