farm tractor shift pattern

I have a need to drive a john deere farm tractor at the boarding stable that I keep my horse at. The only one who drove it left suddenly after an argument with the owner. The tractor has two shift levers going into the trans axle. I think one is like a four speed auto giving four speeds, and the other gives forward and reverse plus one or two other positions.

Are my finding correct so far, and what are the other positions?

Is there a lever to disconnect the PTO? there isn't anything hooked up to it, but if possible I would like to not have it turning.

Do these things have any kind of parking brake? I figured out the dual foot brakes OK.

I will get a model number when I go to the barn next, and will take a pic of the controls.

Thanks.

Reply to
dan

You're going to kill yourself.

Reply to
asdf

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Driven a lot of JDs. Yours doesn't sound familiar. The model number would help.

bob g.

dan wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

I would say the other shifter is for High low range only...

Reply to
Kevin Beitz

Half the fun is just figuring out a new tractor. Get out in the middle of the field and start playing with it.

Unless you have a shuttle transmission, the left lever is speed ranges L-H or L-M-H, the right will have an H pattern for R-1-2-3 ( some have 4 also) A shuttle transmission has a forward/reverse lever just under the steering wheel on the left.

Most Johnny's have a catch lever somewhere on the brake linkage to hold the brakes down for parking and another lever to lock both left/right brakes together. My brand new JD5310N has its own parking brake lever just like a car.

The PTO engage lever will come out just in front of the axle, normally on the left side. I far as I remember all JDs of any recent vintage do not require you to have the clutch down to engage the PTO. The old ones do - the two cylinder Johnny poppers.

Spend time learning where to check oil and other fluid levels - bet that unit ain't been maintained either.

Not many Johnny's I ain't rode - except the 200+ horse articulating type.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I guess I'm dating myself. I'm used to JDs with one brake on each side of the operator's platform. Hard to link together. At least, the one in my garage, a 620, works that way.

rhg

Karl Townsend wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

You usually have forward gears (3 or 4) and reverse on one stick, and then a selection of gear ratios on the other, so you can go at various speeds forward and reverse. most tractors don't have any syncros, so you have to stop to change gear. Handbrakes vary - on our little Ford, you step on the foot brake and pull up a small ring by the brake pedal. 3pt linkage is a selection of hand controls (on the right on the Ford) by the rear wheel fender. Should be a PTO engage lever around there somewhere. Hand throttle on the dash. Some have a foot throttle as well. Diesels will usually need glow plug starting, and pull a knob to stop. Don't forget to turn off the ignition if it isn't automatic otherwise the battery will go flat. Geoff

Reply to
geoff m

Depends on the model. I have a 4300 compact and there are two shift levers on the left side of the seat. One is 3 spd in line and the other is 4 speed "H" pattern giving you a 12 speed combination. There is a forward/reverse lever on the dash. The PTO lever is on the right side of the seat and the parking brake is on the left. Others will have different arrangements - knowing the model number will make a world of difference.

Reply to
Tom

Dan, I only operated J-D's a few times because my Dad hated them. One thing I do remember about the ones I operated is that when the transmission is worn they have a tendency to jump into neutral when going down steep hills ( some of my first gray hairs were acquired at 12 years old by that). Another thing to remember: some tractors must be parked uphill or downhill, depending on whether they are in reverse or a forward gear. Not all brands are that way and I can't remember what kind of tractor it was that killed a neighbor because of that peculiarity. Be careful. DL

Reply to
Gunluvver2

Okay, sounds like you have a 1830-2130 type JD. The two levers are indeed range and gear levers. The left lever is the range lever and at the top-left position it will be park. That's why you don't have any parking brakes, you have a park gear. Top-right position is low-range (gears 1-4). Bottom-left is high range (gears 5-8). Bottom-right is reverse. The other lever is for the gears. Top-left is 1 (or 5) bottom-left is 2 (or 6), bottom-right is 3 (or 7), and top-right is 4 (or 8). It's not arranged like any manual transmission is a truck, it's in a U-shaped shift pattern.

It's been a long while since we traded off our 1830 on a 6300 but I thinks that's correct. The Range positions might be interchanged.

Hope this helps.

Jason Marshall

Reply to
""marshall"

What's that Lassie? You say that Robert Galloway fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 22 Aug 2004 16:44:44 -0500:

model # 1830

I did figure it out with a little trial and error, and the duct tape labels someone put on it.

The left lever has four positions in an H pattern.

forward HI, forward LO, reverse, and park. Yes park. It locks the axal.

The right lever is like a four speed manual gearbox on a car, but third and forth seem to be switched.

The PTO lever on the left of the seat doesn't seem to work like I expected. It won't move forward and back like I would expect. It can be pivoted out towards the wheel, but there is no detent to keep it in position. It has a spring that pulls it back away from the wheel.

On the right side of the seat there is a lever for the hydraulic connections. Those are capped off, so I haven't messed with it.

Also on the right there is a lever that I can only guess is the raise/lower for the three point hitch. I haven't messed with that either.

Thanks for every ones help.

Dan H.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Kevin Beitz fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 22 Aug 2004 17:04:36 -0700:

See my other reply.

One is PARK HI LO REV, and the other is 1 2 3 4 .

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Karl Townsend fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 23 Aug 2004 01:06:19 GMT:

That's about what I did. Once I was sure of how to stop the engine, I tried everything slowly.

As it turns out one lever is PARK HI LO REV and the other is 1 2 3 4.

Most of the other tractors here have a separate hand break or the thing that engages a ratchet on the foot brake. But I looked and looked, and couldn't find any such thing on this one. JD #1830

There is a guy that does the repairs for the place, I have a call in to him to look over the thing and show us what to check and stuff.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Robert Galloway fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:30:56 -0500:

This one is a 1830, it does have duel pedals that has a bar that can be swung into position to make them stay together.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that geoff m fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 23 Aug 2004 02:34:26 -0500:

This one must be an oddball. On one lever it has 1 2 3 4, and on the other one PARK HI LO REV.

The park position explains why I couldn't find the parking brake.

Yep, found the hand and foot throttles by tracing back the linkages from the injector pump. Found the stop lever too.

Thanks I didn't know that.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Tom fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:50:57 GMT:

It's a 1830.

I did figure out the shift patterns. Thanks

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that Gunluvver2 fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 23 Aug 2004 14:40:31 GMT:

Thanks. I did figure out the shift pattern( see my other posts).

I shouldn't need to park it on a hill, so I should be OK.

We are just using it to pull a flatbed trailer to get hay from the shed up the lane. For the most part we don't need to even back up. We just lug along at 1/3 throttle first gear, high range. Takes a while, but it won't get stuck in the mud like the pickup will.

Come winter, we may get a roller to flatten out the dirt before it freezes in the paddocks.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that "@net.(reversed).mts" fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:18:27 -0500:

Yep that's it!! The factory labels are all long gone, but there is a faded duct tape/marker label that had some of the positions still showing.

Nope you got it right.

It does, Thanks!

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that "@net.(reversed).mts" fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 23 Aug 2004 12:18:27 -0500:

Do you remember anything about the PTO lever? and the three point hitch control?

Reply to
dan