farm tractor shift pattern

From the replies to all the comments that have been made to his questions, this sounds less than probable. Seems like he has a pretty good approach to new equipment.

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

I remember the PTO lever being topped with a yellow splined-looking knob in between the two shift levers. Lifting it up (towards the front of the tractor) engages the pto. When the tractor is not running it won't stay in that position as it's a hydraulically-engaged wet-clutch. Down is off but pushed down all the way is the pto brake position. Useful for stopping the blades of a rotary mower and such. Usually the detent goes south quickly so the lever just drops into the brake position.

The three-point hitch control will be right next to the hydraulic control lever. It slides in a arc-shaped slot with a couple of screw-nut stops to serve as depth-stops. Set them at the top and bottom of your desired range and slide the lever between them. The lever position should stay wherever you put it and the hitch arms should mirror that position.

The two foot pedals on your right side are of course the brake pedals. The bar over them is to lock them together for high-speed (for a tractor) use. You don't want to mash only one brake at 18 mph on the road in an emergency. Individual brakes are important in muddy or icy conditions when your front tires don't have enough bit to turn the tractor. Leave them uncoupled unless you really don't trust yourself to put your foot in the middle of the two and press them both. Sometimes one or the other brake circuit gets a little air in it and you don't get even braking with them locked together. That's something to find out before you need it.

I don't think there were glow-plugs on 1830's. They have a little bathtub-faucet-looking thing under the dash with a silver cap on the bottom. You unscrew the cap, take the top squirting thing off a can of ether and push it up into the faucet for a second while you are cranking it over. Usually the tiny line gets plugged where it enters the manifold so that it won't start. Just locate the air intake behind one the front-side grills and give it a shot in there.

Jason Marshall Marshall Seed & Forage Co. Manitoba, Canada

Reply to
""marshall"

What's that Lassie? You say that "@net.(reversed).mts" fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 24 Aug 2004 10:04:18 -0500:

I thought that's what it might be for. But the cap is stuck on but good. Hopefully I won't need to start it in the winter, but it does have a block heater in it.

Thanks for all the good info. Very helpful.

Would you remember what the big cast lever on the left side of the transmission, just forward of the left axil is for? Since its not the PTO, I can't guess what it's for.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that jim rozen fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by 24 Aug 2004 07:13:10 -0700:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Jim.

I do have a healthy respect for powered equipment.

My first real job for 12yrs. was in a warehouse driving all manor of forklifts. That's where I learned how to estimate tight clearances. The narrow isle trucks were about 50" wide, and the isles were about

110". That doesn't leave much when half of the isle has a 48" wide pallet in it.
Reply to
dan

Looking at an ad for the 1830, I see mention of a differential lock. Got that found?

bob g.

dan wrote:

Reply to
Robert Galloway

That would be the differential lock. You can either grab the lever with your hand and push it away from the seat or push down on the pedal with your heel depending on which appendage happens to be free to operate a control. It locks the differential in the rear end so both rear tires turn together when you need the traction in muddy or icy conditions.

Jason Marshall

Marshall Seed & Forage Co. Manitoba, Canada

Reply to
""marshall"

What's that Lassie? You say that Robert Galloway fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:57:24 -0500:

Not that I know of. There is a small lever near the hitch raise/lower lever that I don't know about.

Reply to
dan

What's that Lassie? You say that "@net.(reversed).mts" fell down the old rec.crafts.metalworking mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Tue, 24 Aug 2004 20:34:51 -0500:

Thanks, so far I have just used the independent brakes, but a dif. lock would be better.

Reply to
dan

Differential locks work better ... if you are going straight. If you have to make a lot of turns, use the right or left brakes.

Jim Kovar Vulcan, Mi

Reply to
Jim

replying to , col wrote: I have an 1830 also and you are correct

Reply to
col