Free Monarch lathe in SF area (forwarded ad)

If you have a big truck and want a free Monarch lathe, here's an ad I spotted. I don't know anything about it; I just saw the ad and thought I'd pass it on.

Bruno

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 03:14:46 GMT, Bruno calmly ranted:

Damn, I'll be down there in 2 weeks but don't think the old shortbet F-150 will handle it. A week late and 4.5 tons too short, eh? :(

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

You've got a few days to phone him and a few more days to find a trailer :-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

And a few days to figure out how to sneak it past the "warden"

Reply to
Jim Stewart

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 16:18:54 +0100, Mark Rand calmly ranted:

Towing 5 tons with a 2.5T GVWR 1/2 ton pickup ought to be fun.

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 08:50:00 -0700, Jim Stewart calmly ranted:

No warden here, but I'd lose half my woodshop to that particular 14' lathe. Nothin' doin' !

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 11:25:46 -0700, Larry Jaques worried that:

Should be doable. Preferably with a 4 wheel braked trailer with ackerman steering. 'Course you would need a new workshop to house all the dispossessed woodworking machinery:-)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:57:50 +0100, Mark Rand calmly ranted:

Yeah, I think I'll pass on that one.

Then again, truck shipping might be a lot cheaper.

Nah, I'll find a nice -used- Griz 7x12 when I'm ready.

--- Annoy a politician: Be trustworthy, faithful, and honest! ---

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

But think of all the Grecian Columns you could turn!

Gunner

"The entire population of Great Britain has been declared insane by their government. It is believed that should any one of them come in possession of a firearm, he will immediately start to foam at the mouth and begin kiling children at the nearest school. The proof of their insanity is that they actually believe this." -- someone in misc.survivalism

Reply to
Gunner

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 03:57:07 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

Parthenon-sized, too, eh?

Oh, my aching back...

- DANCING: The vertical frustration of a horizontal desire.

Full Service Web Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Shit, that's nothing. Try towing about 5 tons (if not more) of trailer (Homebrew mobile rock-band stage, plus PA stacks) built on a recycled 45' two-axle single-wide mobile-home chassis, one electric braked axle - with a Late 60's International 1/2 ton flatbed, 304, drum manual brakes.

Then again, I was the second idiot following them in a '62 Scout, very tired 152-Four 4-speed, drum manual brakes, with a ton of Mil-Spec Cast Iron PE-95G generator and single axle trailer hitched on the back, no trailer brakes. That was bad enough.

I now know well the smell of cooking brakes, and the value of downshifting on hills... Going over Las Virgenes Road/Malibu Canyon was bad enough - the flattest option between the Valley and Zuma Beach. Taking either Topanga Canyon or Kanan Road/Kanan-Dume would have been sure suicide. Even going around by freeway would be out, the 405 has that long 8% grade...

I still have the generator ;-) but I sure don't try to tow it very far with anything that small anymore.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 03:28:14 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman calmly ranted:

I had a '72 scout 2WD with 4-wheel drum, M/S, M/B, drove like a _truck_. That was a fun one to take flying, though.

I gave a girlfriend a cardiac when I drove over the curb and up a 10' bank at the end of a street, then about 3' in the air into the field above. A few days later I stopped for gas and noticed something hanging in the front. It was my shock mount broken off the leaf land at the axle. About 80% of it had been an old break but my flight took the last of it. I got the guys in the body shop to show me how to grind and mig it into a solid piece again with the Millermatic. Nice rig. I made a bikini top for the roll bar and removed the top about

8 months out of the year in LoCal. Got it from my BIL once he had brought his load of talking rocks out from Arkansas. The original baby blue paint was replaced with a royal blue Imron. Ah, fond memories...

I don't think I've ever driven Las V or Topanga. Is either anything switchbacky like Mulholland Drive?

I can well imagine.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Las Virgenes has lots of gentle curves, and the grades don't get too bad. This is all beautiful area to drive through, remember that M.A.S.H. was filmed between Kanan Rd. and Cornell Rd. at Paramount Ranch. (Now a public park.)

Topanga Canyon has some serious switchbacks leaving the San Fernando Valley climbing to the top of the hill, after that it's mostly moderate curves to the ocean.

Mulholland Drive was laid out in the Teens and Twenties when they avoided earth-moving as much as possible, so it's all twisty. The motorcyclists love it. Same for Westlake Blvd./ Decker Rd. (CA 23).

Kanan Dume southbound is serious steep for the last few miles where it makes a T intersection with Pacific Coast Highway. They give you a nasty choice - a gravel-pit Runaway Truck lane, or blow through the PCH signal and hit the side of a hill head-on. Typical Bureaucrat- Think - first they put in the Runaway Truck lane, then they put strict truck restrictions on the road. (Then again, if some fool ignores the restriction, or takes a truck with flaky brakes up there for a local pickup...)

And going northbound, Kanan Road has a few miles of 8% or better downgrade - lose it there, and you end up in the parking lot of Rustic Canyon Grill and Grocery.

But that's what Darwin's Law is all about - now we give the fools big heavy trucks that haven't had their brakes properly checked in years, so they can make a bigger BANG! when they go. (Ob. Metalworking content - Vehicle Modifications through impact.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 17 Jul 2004 18:22:14 GMT, Bruce L. Bergman calmly ranted:

I missed most of the HelL.A. roads but did get up there every once in awhile. AAMOF, I was on San Vicente Blvd. the day before I watched the movie "Volcano" and just about sh*t a brick when I saw the area pictured in the movie. It was within a block of the job I was on (repairing a bone densitometer). That was a very eerie feeling.

Road racers also love the Ortega Hwy (CA 74 between San Juan Capistrano and Lake Elsinore). I took my '70 Mark Donahue Special Javelin on that and had a blast in 40-wheel drifts keeping up with the bikes.

Yes, and now that the nice non-maintaned Tijuana Specials are rolling through the ROKalifornia, it should get even more interesting.

- This product cruelly tested on defenseless furry animals - --------------------------------------------------------

Web App & Database Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Er, make that 4-wheel drifts.

- Better Living Through Denial ------------

Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases

Reply to
Larry Jaques