VOK?

The school where my son teaches has a "nutty" school mascot. To me it appears to be a locknut, not a split locknut but the kind that has a bunch of rectangles coming out from the central circle. The mascot could be that or it could be some kind of gear. Anyway, he insists that this hardware is called a "vok" and I think it is called a vok because it is the mascot of a vocational (voKational) school.

In general I am against having hardware as mascots but is there such a thing as a "VOK".

Regards, Leonard

Reply to
Leonard & Peggy Brown

I think you mean a lockwasher and not a locknut, don't you?

All I can think of is an old cartoon of a bolt with stick legs and arms chasing a similarly limbed nut who is saying to the bolt, "No you don't, not without a lockwasher." (Yahadda be there...)

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

No, I'm getting a castellated nut, like you use to be secured by a cotter pin. There should be a bunch of these in auto suspension and steering components.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

No, I see a star washer.

Reply to
Stephen Young

Yeah, it was the "split locknut" that has me thinking he meant lockwasher.

Though I suppose the slots in a castellated nut could be called "splits" by someone like the OP, who I'm guessing must be a lawyer, 'cause he displays such a strong proclivity for describing things in words intended to suppress the transfer of information.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Calling me was "Lawyer" is indeed an insult! I think I was wanting the term "castellated washer"..... has anyone ever heard of them being called voks?

LB

Reply to
Leonard & Peggy Brown

Hey ???

Castellated washers (tab washers) with a centre key to key in the shaft keyway are used on shafts to lock castellated nuts.. They are available at any bearing supplier. The nut has a strong chamfer (not quite Vee'd) and is referenced as an "NO5" for example (fits a 1-1/4" shaft??), and the corresponding washer would be a "WO5". Maybe at some point in time an old Swedish school teacher wanted to call that a Vee, OK?". Would that be a VOK?

Take care. Brian Laws>Calling me was "Lawyer" is indeed an insult! I think I was wanting the term

Reply to
Brian Lawson