Ford Escape

Some welding content...Got a sort of free 2003 V6 Ford Escape a few months ago. Front brakes were shot and I needed a 20 tons on the press to remove one of the front rotors from the hub...major rust between the OD of the hub and the ID of the rotor hat. Bearings in hubs were shot anyway, so replaced them also. Car has three catalytic converters. It appears the underbody cat was replaced at some point with aftermarket part that sort of fit...probably melted due to a failed coil pack...Major exhaust leak on the rear bank manifold cat...can was cracked in two places. Had to pull intake manifold, wiring harness, alternator, under pan, etc. etc to remove. The substrate looked fine, so I TIG welded up the can with some Inconel wire and reinstalled. Before putting back the Y pipe, I put a borescope up the outlet of the front manifold cat..and guess what... the substrate in the front manifold cat is totally gone. It seems that there are no aftermarket front manifold cats made for this car, so I may have to shell out 500+ bucks to the Ford stealer. Just out of the 80K mile emission warranty too. Local junkyards, (not in CA by the way), tell me they are not allowed by law to sell perfectly good used units....they must be scrapped! I'm really pissed! Car is running fine now, but is setting a code for the front bank cat, and won't pass inspection next month....arghh.

Reply to
oldjag

I thought the emissions warranty had to be 10 years, per the feds -- or is it that many years or 80000 miles?

Every time I follow one of those I wonder if someone's put that independent rear suspension under a Model A -- it looks like it'd fit just dandy (and in most states you wouldn't need the cat...).

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Yep, that is one of the Federal laws regarding emissions. Makes it fun when you have a vehicle that the aftermarket doesn't support. However all is not lost. You just need to figure out which other vehicle used the same type of cat but is supported.

Reply to
Steve W.

"oldjag" wrote: (clip) Local junkyards, (not in CA by the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Do you need a license to buy scrap metal? I would offer them a REALLY GOOD price for a small pile of scrap.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

That's what this pair was looking for...

Jim Stewart

If they have a junked unit there, buy the whole vehicle, take what you need and sell the rest back for scrap value. Get with the guy that manages the place and offer him an incentive to call you immediately upon receiving a like unit, then go get it.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Chandler
3 cats, what a POS. Ford can't even make an engine that runs clean. ANY pre-lambda VW gas Rabbit would run fine at .6 CO and 100 ppm HC up stream or no cat. No EGR needed. Either. Better specs than alot of '00 up domestic shit boxes can blow after cat. I suggest you Escape-junk it. JR Dweller in the cellar

oldjag wrote:

Reply to
JR North

"Jim Chandler" wrote: If they have a junked unit there, buy the whole vehicle, take what you

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ That certainly is a theoretical possibility, but, with that concept in mind, would they sell you less that the whole vehicle--say, the exhaust system from the manifold on back? Of course, if there are other things you could use, by all means add them to the package.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman