ref: Hobby Zone Firebird/Fighterbird - anyone managed to change crystals ?

Just wanted to note that this is very easy to do, so if anyone is thinking of doing this, here is how I did this, I replaced the original CH1 crystals with a pair of 27Mhz Orange crystals from my model car box.

  1. Disconnect the fishing lines to the tail, loop the right line through the rubber tube twice so you remember which side it goes.
  2. Prize off the grey button clips which hold the foam block in behind the battery, and disconnect the rubber band which holds the canopy closed.
  3. Remove undercarriage and unscrew the 4 cross head screws which hold the radio tray in place - you can then slide the radio tray forward, the crystal is at the front very near the top, and is obviously the only crystal on the board.

Carefully desolder the crystal, then drill out the holes to fit the new crystal pins, then solder in place.

Transmitter is easier still, remove the 4 screws holding the back on, unscrew the aerial and remove, then undo the 2 screws holding the circuit board into the front of the case, unsolder the old crystal and drlil out the holes slightly to fit the new crystal, solder it in place.

Quick range check at about 30ft with aerial down, and this was all fine !!

Re-assembly is reverse of above, gently pull the fishing lines and aerial snug before replacing the screws holding the radio plate into the fuselage.

Also, I used a long cable tie right through the foam block and round the underneath of the fus instead of the grey clips, as I think this is much stronger and will stop the fus splitting on a hard impact !

Hpoe this is useful to others, it literally took me 10 minutes on my first attempt, so would be even qiucker to do again.

James.

Reply to
James Blackmore