Karl -- Bought a semi tractor Ford L9000

A (semi) always includes air brakes here I believe, B (straight truck) I believe is the one that may or may not include air brakes. C (regular car/van/pickup) as CDL only exists for placardable vehicles (hazmat). M is an add on motorcycle class.

I have a class AM license with TX endorsements and AP restriction. T=double/triple, X=tank and hazmat, A=corrective lenses (contacts), P=hazmat endorsement expiration different from license expiration (1yr sooner).

Reply to
Pete C.

Yes, but the point is it likely won't be cheap regardless, and you will have to work carefully to get the agent to understand your actual limited use without getting them confused. You're moving off lots of equipment from auctions to your shop a few times a month mostly I'd think, probably well under 5,000mi/mo. If you do any delivery of the larger machines I think that will expose you to much greater liability and thus higher costs, vs. just bringing stuff you've purchased to your shop.

Reply to
Pete C.

That may help in convincing them that the value is as low as what he paid, though the low mileage may have them questioning that. Hopefully they won't actually see the truck since it's in really nice shape. Way back when for my CT property tax on my old truck, I had to swing by the tax assessor's office each year so they could look at the odometer reading and see the high mileage, those few minutes would save me like $60 vs. the book value. Fortunately here in TX we don't get property tax on personal vehicles.

Reply to
Pete C.

Presumably a 45-53' dry van or flatbed. I would think if you used something like a 28' "pup" trailer with a lift gate it would be a bit less.

You are probably going to do less than 5,000mi/mo vs. the 5,000mi/wk that is common for OTR so yes, I would expect you would save a bit there. You are also probably mostly operating in-state or at least within a fairly small radius vs. long haul cross country, and you have a day cab so you are probably not doing overnight trips (if you do you have to include motel costs since a day cab won't qualify).

Reply to
Pete C.

Quite possibly. He will need to do the math to compare the costs of operating his own semi vs. contracting to get his stuff moved. If he's doing enough business it may be worthwhile to operate his own.

Reply to
Pete C.

Just -don't- use this guy:

-- We are always the same age inside. -- Gertrude Stein

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On 1/11/2012 9:57 PM, Ignoramus8177 wrote: ...

Don't know that it does, but "rules is rules" and every state will have it's own...you just have to find out what applies wherever it is you are.

Reply to
dpb

Indeed, and it's unlikely they'll care (much). I took an old small farm truck back to TN years ago to make trips to/from the sawmills just as individual, not business. There was no one I could find in the entire state that would insure it as just a personal vehicle even though the weight and length were within those of a current dually PU; it had a grain bed and lift and as soon as they saw it it was "commercial". At that point, nothing else mattered; it might as well as had a 40k rating as the 8k KS farm tag.

Lots of luck to Iggy on finding somebody with a little compassion on the little guy.

--

Reply to
dpb

When I get a semi for my personal use, I'm going to get the biggest sleeper cab I can find, upgrade it to a full camper and register it as an RV :)

Reply to
Pete C.

My guess will be 500 miles per month tops.

Ignoramus13479

I just ruined my keyboard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Ignoramus13479

Don't estimate it too low, you'll find that some agents won't want to bother with it if it's too minimal.

Reply to
Pete C.

Perhaps not. It's curious that the only instrument without it's original bezel is the speedometer/odometer.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

In PA, cars don't need to be inspected at the time of sale. I don't know if that applies to trucks.

RWL

Reply to
GeoLane at PTD dot NET

In many places the inspection is required for title transfer.

Reply to
clare

And you currently fit that description. You have no Class A driving experience and no commmercial insurance record so you will be in the UBER-HIGH rate class.

Reply to
clare

The first thing I noticed was the speedo didn't seem to fit - like it had been replaced with something different - but then I noticed the bezel on the other instrument - missing on the speedo, which DOES look original. I would suspect it was a local delivery truck, used for trade shows etc, and that the mileage IS original.

Reply to
clare

I would be shocked if the Morse Calipers company would mess with the odometer at the time of closing. It would be so out of the ordinary.

It is not some asshole shade tree used car dealer, you know.

They indeed used it for deliveries and stuff of that sort, for corporate business. They maintained everything on a PM schedule.

It may have problems, of course, but doubtfully a tampered odometer.

Ignoramus13479

Part of it because some owners remove safety and/or smog equipment between inspections. Back when I was doing CA smog certs, I saw a lot of that.

-- Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Why stop there? There are conversions out there where they take a full Class 8 truck chassis and build a 35' plus full-on "Class C on Steroids" Motorhome inside the box body. And you can tow a dolly and half-set or a killer car trailer.

They take round saddle-mount fuel tanks and convert them into fresh-water, grey water and black water sewer tanks, and the rest of the space gets Possum Belly storage boxes. The Gen Set is a large standard truckers APU that pre-heats the engine and has an AC Compressor. With that much fuel on hand and room for a Big coach battery bank, you could go dry-camping for weeks at a time.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human