Motor Fan - Not Fan Motor - Sigh!

Now onto the next problem. The reason I pulled the cover on that Leland motor in the first place was because there was a dent in the back case. Now
that I have the wiring figured out I need to address that... with a hammer. And the more serious damage from whatever dented that housing. Two broken blades on the cooling fan.
I figured finding an exact replacement was probably a no go. I stopped by a local motor shop and they want to order in a blank arbor fan that may or may not fit and then bore it to fit to be held on with a couple set screws. That may be what I have to do eventually, but I thought it sounded a little pricey for a fan blade. Even with a legitimate 30-45 minutes of machine work to make it fit my motor if it fits the space available.
I am looking at other options first. The first and least likely is somebody saying, "I have one of those on my junk pile. How about $XX.xx for it Bob?"
Searching with google for industrial motor cooling fans is beyond my Internet savvy. I can find thousands of motors, but finding sources for fans blades is a bit trickier.
Its off the cooling motor on a Leland 6273. The part number molded on the blade is D252999. The fan is approximately 9.75 inches in diameter. It is about 1.380 inches tall, and has a concave base. The bore when checked with a caliper is .650 +/- The motor shaft measures at .660 so there is no doubt some flaw in my technique.
There is an old grind mark that looks like the fan was balanced when it was new.
Picture can be seen here:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/lelandfan.jpg/
Bob La Londe wrote:

TIG?

I'd silver braze, myself - or silicon braze. Tigging castings is possible, but not as simple. My buddy would likely "tig braze" it.
snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Looks like it would fit a Priority Mail box... send it to Ernie...

Now THAT sounds like an idea.
On 1/10/2012 6:31 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: ...

Looks like you have the pieces; why not just weld 'em back on and rebalance?

Its beyond my welding ability. I don't have a TIG, and while the thickness is within the range of my MIG, I am pretty sure I would just vaporize that porous aluminum casting. (looks about like pot metal) Tomorrow If I have time I'll go by Mike's Metalworks and see if he thinks he can weld it.

The darn thing is ALUMINUM??? It looked like grey cast to me in the picture.
On 1/10/2012 7:14 PM, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Surely looks like it to me too, but I guess he's there...

My magnet doesn't stick from here.

What is "grey cast" and no a magnet doesn't stick. Not even a rare earth magnet.
Bob La Londe Inscribed thus:

Its monkey metal ! (Mazak alloy).
--
Best Regards:
Baron.

Have you tried Jenkins???? http://www.jenkins.com/Portals/0/Jenkins%20Electric%20Company%20Fan%20Catalog%202011%20-%20web.pdf
Betcha they have what you need.

I might actually might have a fan that's off of a toasted 184T ( 112M ) frame motor that might actually fit that so suggest hold off till tomorrow mid-morning when I can take a look.
Other than that, suggest simply remove it and attach a 6in 110vac muffin fan onto the rear shroud and just keep it running anytime the inverter is powered up.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Comair-Rotron-Major-MR2B3-Fans-115VAC-0-27-0-26A-50-60Hz-30-31W-5-7-8-x-2-/250951333276?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a6ddd759c

This is what I would do, also. The extra plus is better cooling at low motor speed.

I would probably just break off the 2 blades opposite and forget about it.
Not to suggest someone else should do that though....

I already thought of that. I do plan on working this motor though. I did also consider a 110V muffin fan. Both of those options are probably OK for my own use, but being the OCD person that I am I wanted to try replacing the fan first if I could.

I'll bet I beat you to it by at least a couple decades <G>

The muffin fan is good because it provides steady airflow regardless of motor speed...
Whereas the airflow from fan that's mounted on the motor shaft basically drops clear down to nothing when running at slow rpms.
PrecisionmachinisT wrote:

I thought it had already been determined in an earlier thread on this motor that the fan has a separate supply to the main motor and is to be provided with its own supply at 60Hz, or whatever is appropriate, so it provides a constant cooling airflow regardless of the main motor speed.

The op found that several vanes had been broken off of the original fan.