Motor Fan - Not Fan Motor - Sigh!

Now onto the next problem. The reason I pulled the cover on that Leland motor in the first place was because there was a dent in the back case. Now that I have the wiring figured out I need to address that... with a hammer. And the more serious damage from whatever dented that housing. Two broken blades on the cooling fan.

I figured finding an exact replacement was probably a no go. I stopped by a local motor shop and they want to order in a blank arbor fan that may or may not fit and then bore it to fit to be held on with a couple set screws. That may be what I have to do eventually, but I thought it sounded a little pricey for a fan blade. Even with a legitimate 30-45 minutes of machine work to make it fit my motor if it fits the space available.

I am looking at other options first. The first and least likely is somebody saying, "I have one of those on my junk pile. How about $XX.xx for it Bob?"

Searching with google for industrial motor cooling fans is beyond my Internet savvy. I can find thousands of motors, but finding sources for fans blades is a bit trickier.

Its off the cooling motor on a Leland 6273. The part number molded on the blade is D252999. The fan is approximately 9.75 inches in diameter. It is about 1.380 inches tall, and has a concave base. The bore when checked with a caliper is .650 +/- The motor shaft measures at .660 so there is no doubt some flaw in my technique.

There is an old grind mark that looks like the fan was balanced when it was new.

Picture can be seen here:

Bob La Londe

Try looking here:

Rich.

Not a bad listing, but I don't see a fan there that would work, but mostly its Grainger. I think I'll see if I can have this fan welded then rebalance it myself if Grainger turns out to be my only option. I won't get into it, but they left me hanging one to many times.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe Inscribed thus:

I have an old fan heater with an 8" dia plastic fan. The motor for this fan has a 3/16" shaft. There is more than enough meat to bore it out to 0.650" though I'm not sure what you would use to secure it to the existing shaft. FWIW the fan heater costs £7.49p here in the UK for a new one.

HTH.

Reply to
Baron

LOL. I think shipping charges would eat me up on that one. Jenkins has a couple generic fans in their line that may work. Those would atleast ship from the same continent.

Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe Inscribed thus:

Hi Bob, Sorry, I didn't mean to infer that you got the fan from me ! Rather, I have this, maybe you can take advantage of something similar.

The plastic fan have looks similar to this one from the link below.

9" OD Fan Item #8-8657.

Actually I was in NY over Christmas and did see similar fan heaters in a couple of places. I found some of the prices of commodity items were almost twice what they are here in the UK.

I'll check tomorrow and try to find out what it would cost to ship it to you. I don't think it would be inordinately expensive.

Reply to
Baron

Thanks. I think I have it figured out now. I have not shipped to the UK before, but I have shipped to/from Hong Kong, Oz, Sweden, NZ, etc... You know I did just receive a speed controller from the UK now that I think about it. Anyway. I think I have this solved, but I really do appreciate the thought.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob La Londe Inscribed thus:

You're welcome. :-)