nk

People, I really need help here. If you answer, please make sure that your reply is xposted to rec.crafts.metalworking.

I have this motorcycle engine and I urgently need to FIND WHERE THE VIN NUMBER IS STAMPED ON IT. I looked kind of closely and couldnot find anything.

Where should I look for VIN?

Thanks a lot. If you know anything about these engines, plz reply.

Ignoramus21002

Look at your pictures. You already have it.

Reply to
Clif Holland

Iggy, you're really looking for the 'engine serial number' not the VIN.

It's R737-115840

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

VIN= Vehichle Identification Number

There is NO VIN on an engine........ The VIN will be located on the frame of whatever vehicle it came off...not the engine... The VIN located on the FRAME of the bike or whatever the engine came out of will include the serial Number of the engine ....which you have already taken pictures of....so give the cops the Engine Serial number....Generally the last few digits of the engine serial number will match the VIN which you do not, nor will ever find unless you have the frame...............Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

Try right in the middle of the photo.

Reply to
woodworker88

That's not a VIN number. Sorry. VIN is a Vehicle Identification Number, it has 17 characters.

I need a real answer.

Ignoramus21002

_I_ am looking for the VIN number. A detective wants a VIN number.

I do know what I am looking for and I must have it tomorrow.

Ignoramus21002

The detective said that it should be there. Maybe he is wrong. But I would not bet that way.

Again:

I need a VIN number, not any other number.

Ignoramus21002

Yes, and as the man told you, it will be on the frame! Dude, the law knows exactly where the VIN's are, it's their job, giving it to them just may get your ass thrown in jail for GTA, or possession of stolen property! That's about as real as I can be...

Reply to
T3
:

Well your detective is wrong...there is NO VIN on an engine block...he may have said VIN...but he probably meant serial number.............so I guess you can expect a visit....ROFL....Phone him up and tell him the serial number...if he comes over looking for a VIN number...then he needs a different day job....Jim

Reply to
Jim & Lil

I do not need legal BS. I received this engine out of the blue by fedex with no return address. I called the detective myself. I cannot see being legally lliable for anything and have no interest in debating that.

I am sorry, I need an answer to my question, not wrong guesses about the law.

I am sorry to be so snippy, but I need this number by tomorrow. It should be on the engine. It is stamped in several places on vehicles to deter theft.

Ignoramus21002

Jim, can you tell me just how do you know that for a fact. Are you a car dealer, or something like that? Did you work for a polica agency? I need to determine if your answer is merely speculation, or you actually were involving in some relevant trade and know this for a fact.

Ignoramus21002

Dude, I'll type slow this time, ok? If you know someone at Suzuki and have some time to spend on the phone, you might be able to find out what the VIN# of the bike was that the engine was initially put in, as they are "sometimes"(not always)cross referenced. The cops and insurance companies damn sure can, you, I don't know. If by some chance you do come up with a VIN# of a bike that has been stolen, you could be charged with possession of stolen property and I am in the business! I find it a little hard to believe FedEx delivered that motor and had no return addy for it, or record of who paid to ship it, if so, it would be the first time I ever heard of such a thing happening, btw, the law knows that too! I would be very careful if I were you....

Reply to
T3

Ya know Ig the folks that are answering your question have been riding probably since befor you were born. I would think that they know what they are talking about. Even in an auto the vin is located not on the engine but on the dash(frame) You will not find a Vin on that motor. I hope you take the time to listen to the information you asked for. The GSXR 750 mounted the Vin on the Down Tube. I was not stamped on the motor. The only marksings I know of on the motor are fluid levels and the serial.

OP

Reply to
optaylor

To me it seems logical that the VIN would not match the engine number, since, on an assembly line, a car could end up with a number of engine choices. Matching the numbers would require that the engine number be stamped just at the point of installation.

Since you have given your best effort to finding a VIN on the motor, I think you have no choice left but to show the engine to the cops, and let them see if they can find it.

I believe the idea that they are going to jump down your throat for having this engine is way off. Detectives usually appreciate it when a citizen offers help and cooperation. If they treated every citizen as a criminal, they would eventually make their own job more difficult. It would be different if they caught you trying to sell it, and it turned out to be hot.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

"Ignoramus21002" wrote

I received this engine out of the blue by

Say what? Isn't FedEx required by federal laws to do so?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sigh...there is seldom a VIN number on an engine. There will usually be an engine serial number.

Vehicle Identification Number is just that. Some of the more commonly stolen parts such as auto glass and what not may have either a serial number, or a copy of the VIN number, but seldom if ever will a VIN number be stamped on an engine. VINS are supposed to be linked to the various serial numbers BY THE FACTORY.

Gunner

Gunner

So that ape has to find it by himself or, even better, get informed. He could call the manufacturer -if- he can handle a phone. But I also doubt that.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Müller

No, a vehicle id is part of the frame of the vehicle. On a car it might be stamped into the engine compartment but not on the engine itself. The engine serial number identifies the engine itself, and a database should have the vin it corresponds to. Think if you wanted to put a new engine into an old bike, the new engine would have a different vin. So a serial number can be assigned to any vin

Reply to
woodworker88

Thanks to all. I gave up. Called the detective and told him that there is no VIN, just a serial number, and gave him that. I willl drag it to my yard and will put it in the bushes for a couple of weeks, then I will sell it. That POS is not worth much, I think, a couple of covers are damaged by transit.

Ignoramus6607