nk

25 yrs collecting cars, motorcycles....forget it!..I give up on you!....Jim
Reply to
Jim & Lil

yes, I am now convinced that there is no VIN.

Ignoramus6607

Which is what we've been trying (Over, and over, and over...) to tell you. They put the VIN on the chassis, and the engine serial number usually matches the production serial part of the VIN.

If the local detective knows anything about motorcycles he can figure it out. If he can't, you have nothing to worry about anyway, let HIM try to trace it back through FedEx.

It's probably worth your trouble to advertise it locally, if you can find someone with a good bike and a blown motor - he can drop it right in his frame, swap off the two broken covers with the good ones off his blown engine, fill the fluids and fire it up. Even if it isn't in perfect shape, it'll be far better than one he has with a ventilated crankcase and a rod sticking out...

(18 year olds love to think that an engine redline is just an advisory number set way too low by the manufacturers to keep them out of the fun part of the powerband. The lesson reinforcing that message can be a very expensive learning experience.)

Or you find replacement end covers yourself, bench test the engine to make sure it runs, rig up a heater core or two and a 12" electric fan to serve as a radiator, and build a killer tire-smoking six-speed Go-Kart around it for the kids - or for yourself. Yeeeeeeeehaw!!!

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Ihope that you understand why I was reluctant to take no for an answer.

Yep. I do not think that he is interested in that, actually. So far, I have not heard from him.

I could try craigslist.

I am not really into go carts... I was already thinking how I could use this engine. No useful uses came up. I would rather keep some lub-dub engine that could keep on going forever. Like my Onan DJE.

Also, I do not have the carb, as far as I could tell.

I have other things that I need to fix, like that Sears generator that I bought for $3 at a garage sale.

Ignoramus6607

I e mailed FedEx and asked them what their policy on return addresses were. They sent me the following reply:

Start reply:

We received your inquiry. Thank you for contacting FedEx.

For every transaction, FedEx must have all the necessary information of the shipper and recipient like a complete name, address and telephone number before we can absolutely accept packages. For express packages, these information must be indicated on the airbill but if packages were sent via FedEx Ground or Home Delivery, these information will not be displayed on the label but we have the records encoded in our database.

End reply.

I suggest that if you want to know about the shipment, that you contact FedEx, and they will have all the information you require.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I've actually been through this. FedEx and UPS will not disclose shipper info to anyone but the shipper or to law enforcement. Recipients have no right to this info according to them.

Reply to
BobtheButcher

Oh you have? Let me give you a little insight from a dood(dude, asshole, or old guy) that's been accepting shipments for 35 years or so! First of all, if there is no valid return address, or evidence of who actually sent it, refuse delivery, period!!!!! You can do that in advance btw, if not, believe me, FexEx, UPS, or whoever will be very forthcoming if you hold their feet to the fire! They don't want to ship it back, Duh! That is why your story is a little lame. To me, it sounds like you got nervous and called the law thinking you could cover yourself, but guess what? They already figured that out! As I said last night, be careful, or find a dumpster! Oh and by the way, remove RMR from your header, OK? Oh yeah, say Hi to Bubba, he'll be the big dude right behind you that will be real happy to "meat" you!

Buh-bye.....

Reply to
T3

I'll answer this. I was a police officer and assigned specifically to motor vehicles for many years. That engine does not have a VIN. A vehicle identification number is just that, a 'vehicle identification' number. Sometimes an engine serial number can be matched to a vehicle, but not in most cases. All you will have, and have already found, is an engine serial number.

John

Reply to
spodely

Teehee... I think if I were Iggy, I would file a damage claim to FedEx for the damaged covers on the engine. (Damaged in shipment) Then get the necessary parts to repair it, then sell it.... Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling

Thank you. That's very convincing.

Ignoramus6607

no way they would pay for a shipment that was that poorly packed.

Ignoramus6607

But you do not have a vehicle. You have an engine.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Someone just said to take the engine number to a dealer and ask for a check. Stuff is registered. Because of chop shops.

Ignoramus6607 wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

The Fed-Ex shipping label should have a tracking number on it. This should allow you to track the package on line, and should also allow Fed Ex to identify the shipment.

If you didn't order the shipment/engine, then I'll be that someone is wondering where it is located. If you signed for the shipment, you may eventually have to produce the shipment, if it was delivered to the wrong address.

If you call Fed Ex and give them the tracking number, stating that the shipment was dropped off (damaged) at your place by mistake, they should respond and come take it off your hands.

Jim Cook

Smackover Racing Gas Gas DE300 Team LAGNAF

Wudsracer

I can agree with that, the cops in Ft Lauderdale used to bust humps at a local biker bar (early 70's) by taking engine sn's and VIN's and running them for mismatches.

South Dixie Highway, what a paradise.

Joe

XL600R that's a Honda Dual Sport

Reply to
Joe Rooney

Yea, except that there is no return address in the tracking info. Only originating location. Really. I can email tracking info to some trusted third party.

I was not home

I did that. They did not care

Ignoramus6607

How about you quit cross posting this shit to unrelated news groups?????

Reply to
Chris Buckley

Most likely, no one has made an inquiry about it yet. If they do, someone will come knocking at your door, eventually.

Three times in the last two years, we have had shipments to customers delivered to the wrong address, usually within a couple of blocks of the correct address. One of these times, it was three weeks before the customer called and asked where his stuff was. It was only then that UPS started looking for it. I insure every shipment coming out of our shop, for this reason as much as for damage.

Jim Cook

Smackover Racing Gas Gas DE300 Team LAGNAF

Wudsracer

Yep, except in my case it was delivered to the right address.

Ignoramus20247

Hey, *they* accepted it for transport...If they thought that it was poorly packaged, then they shouldn't have picked it up in the first place. Secondly, there may have been an insurance rider on it from the rightful owner - against shipping damage. Ken.

Reply to
Ken Sterling