onan or kohler?

my 225g bobcats are getting some age on them and maintenance has exceeded my comfort zone. i plan on purchasing a few of the new bobcat 250nt units and they offer onan and kohler engines for the same price. onan has served me well and the onan engines have a 3 year manufacturers warranty compared to the 2 year warranty on the kohlers, but im wondering if the kohler is a better engine? the units are priced the same ($2682) so initial cost isnt a factor. im just wondering how these two engines compare. thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Is there any option that will get you a diesel?

I have a Lincoln with an Onan, and I note (in the manual) that the Kohler's have an oil change interval that is twice as long as the Onan's

- the Kohler was not in stock and the Onan was when I bought mine. Come to think of it, the Lincoln was in the stock and the Miller wasn't.

I think the overall nod between the two goes to Kohler engines, from what I have seen/read.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

the 250d costs twice as much as the gasoline versions and i cant see tying up that much money in a bobcat.

due to durability?

thanks,

Reply to
Nathan Collier

Might easily last more than twice as long, and cost less to run as well, but double the price up front is sort of difficult to take. Oh well.

Yes - durability, longevity etc.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

while i agree, i just cant see putting $6k into a bobcat. for a few more grand you could get a big blue.

thanks. id heard that kohler built a great engine, but my history with onan plus the 3 year warranty (compared to 2 on the kohler) got my attention.

Reply to
Nathan Collier

I think the recommended oil change interval is to get you past the warranty where Kohler only has to go 66% of the Onan. Personally I change oil much more frequently than the Mfg. recommends because I plan for the long haul. I have heard good things about both and that rebuilds are ridiculously expensive on both. When I was with the phone company they always used Onan for the generators on splicing trucks with good results.

Reply to
Zorro

The Kohler is a newer design, slightly more powerful and slightly more fuel efficient. OTOH, the Onan is a mature design with a good reliability track record. I chose Onan power for my Bobcat.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

thanks gary!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

When I worked at Lincoln testing out the new Onan 20.5 HP performer, it ended up being a very good engine. One other thing that I also took notice of was the recommended valve adjustment interval. Onan recommends adjustment of these at every 500 hours, where the Kohlers did not have the need to call for it due to hydraulic valve lifters.

I also know that Onan is getting out of the engine business, and that many of the ones you see lately are made from a collaboration with Robin/Subaru. Both Miller and Lincoln both are in the process of trying to have their field service facilities become Robin Authorized to offer repairs on their units.

Both engines are very good, but I believe the Kohler would get my nod, due to the better service needs/intervals.

Yes, I am a Lincoln and Miller Authorized shop, also with several authorizations for the small engines, too.

PHIL

Reply to
PHIL

wow, i didnt know that about the kohlers.

does that mean support for onan engines will get scarce?

many thanks!

Reply to
Nathan Collier

It seems to me that there was or is a remote control option available for the Bobcat with the Kohler Engine but not the Onan Engine. If this feature is wanted now or later you would want the Kohler Engine. I believe it's a choke issue automatic vs. manual.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Porta