Miller Bobcat 225G question

How is the motor connected to the welder? I have the chance to pick one up cheap but the motor is toast. Just wondering how its joined, I have a 24 HP v twin doing nothing, its not the same brand motor but is it possible to use a standard motor.

Reply to
Waynemak

Welder engines like generator engines use a tapered output shaft. On the Bobcat there's a short taper on the rather short output shaft one which a plate about 8" diameter is places. The plate bolts to the cooling fan which is on the armature.

In order to use any engine not built as a welder or generator engine you'll have to remove the crank from the engine and machine the proper taper on the end of the crank shaft.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

And both the location and angle of the taper are pretty fussy. The angle of the taper is what keeps things from slipping, the location will determine the position of the welder armature which will include the slip rings.

You might look > >

Reply to
RoyJ

Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to look atthe motor to see what it needs. The motor is torn down and looks to be done good. the crank is fine it will just take some time to put together a motor that I didn't take apart. The welder section "LOOKS" good but that means nothing.

Reply to
Waynemak

Just be sitting down when you call for engine parts.

They're a fair welder for stick. I've not hooked my spool gun up for CV work yet so I can't say there. I'm a bit spoiled by my herd of high quality electric welders so I feel the arc lacks a little to be desired. On the other hand I've definitely welded with worse. They make a pretty good generator as well.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

You didn't mention brands of engines but odds are good you could buy a new crank for your good engine, piece the whole thing together. The bolt pattern on the block is pretty standard.

Beware; I bought an Onan 180 amp welder/5000watt generator years back, the thing spun with no compression, price was dirt cheap. I figured I could redo the tecumsa engine with no big deal. Got it home, freed up the valves, started right up. Ah, ha!!! but no welder/generator output. Some dollars later I discover that half of the stator windings are completely burnt out. Onan wanted $1700 for a new stator. Thats what I get for assuming there is only ONE THING wrong with the unit.

For what it's worth, the motor is l> Ok its home, I see what you mean with the location issue. I will have to

Reply to
RoyJ

I could be a boat hlding device, but I took the risk, not a ton of money, unless I dump it into the motor. "RoyJ" wrote in message news:l3Zae.13044$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

Reply to
Waynemak

I bought the 225G new and it has served well for both power generation as well as DC welding. It's a 2-pole unit, so the AC welding has an obvious buzz to the arc. The generator and welding are connected, so the only way to get full voltage is to have the fine adjustment on the welding set at 100%. Might make the welding a bit "hot" if power generation is needed simultaneously. I have never tried the CV side of the machine. It came with a garden-tractor battery that I swapped out for a full size battery; plenty of room in the box. I keep a trickle-charger/maintainer on it as the battery will get weak if the unit is not run regularly. The largest rod that I have run with it was

5/32 6011 at 145 amps. The fuel tank is >Are these good welders? I have a good Idealarc 300 TIG and a 175 lincoln
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick