DIY Black oxide on 316?

I am trial fitting some sexy black traveler and Genoa tracks on Rutu. I have the fitting just about perfect but the only thing you see is the glaring stainless flat head screws. I cannot find 316 stainless 5/16 x 3" flat head machine screws in black oxide 316. How hard is it to put a durable black oxide finish on 316 and how do you do it.

I could powder coat them black but that might make the heads stand up a little and interfere with the precision slides.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

By definition of stainless you can't get oxide on it. I've used black fasteners in the aviation business, but I think they were aluminum anodized. I want to say that I've seen something in stainless, but for the life of me I can't remember what it is.

Reply to
carl mciver

316 Stainless will oxidise but it reduces the corrosion resistance and the heat required, if done thermally, will soften the bolt. There are chemical solutions that will do the job if required.
David Deuchar

Great link; thanks. It goes in my resource files.

-- --Pete "Peter W. Meek"

Peter W. Meek

You might also google for black chrome plate. I think that is how stainless gun barrels are made black.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Stainless gun barrels are blackened by treating them in a specialized hot bath made by Brownells called Oxynate 84

Firearms are usually made from 400 series stainless. How it would work on

316 is a question best answered by Brownells tech support.

Randy

Reply to
R. O'Brian

I just googled on "Black Chrome". It does exist and is used on gun barrels. Not the only way to get black chrome, but possibly more durable than other methods.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

Brownells Gunsmithing Supplies has stuff for oxidizing stainless steel

brownells.com IIRC

============================================== Put some color in your cheeks...garden naked!

Reply to
~Roy~

Since you can powder coat you could just grind a few thou off the screw heads and then the clearance will not be a problem.

Plan "B" would be just to use a marker and make them black.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

I would agree that black chrome would be more wear / galling resistant.

Reply to
David Deuchar