Re: black paint - light absorption?

Hi all,

I am, too, looking for a black paint to minimize scattered light, but the paint should NOT fluoresce when exposed to UV ~254 nm max. Also It should be vacuum compatible (~10^-7 torr). I have found that a product called MH2200 from Alion Science meets my requirements but it is too pricey and they do not sell anything less than a gallon.

Please let me know if you already have this product and want to share/sell a fraction of a gallon or an alternative non fluorescent vacuum comptabile black paint .

regads Obirer

Reply to
obirer

The blackest stuff I've ever seen is micronized copper chromite catalyst. Micronized mangetite is very black. Pick a suitable curable matrix.

Reply to
Uncle Al

Does it have to be paint? Would soot deposited from a candle flame work?

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Your requirements are similar to those NASA has faced for space based optics including baffels.

Have you gotten ahold of the NASA documentation on recommended types of optical black coatings?

Why reinvent the wheel? Especially if you are headed for a smilar application.

Years ago, I had that stuff in my files, but it should be easier to get these days over the net and by telephone calls.

Jim

Reply to
jbuch

Well, the company I mentioned does job for NASA. MH2200 is THE stuff, but too expensive for me to buy $600 a gallon paint with a shelf life of 6 months..

Reply to
obirer

So, to make a long story short,,,,,,

You haven't looked into what NASA has studied !

You just want something black and cheap,,,,, and oh yes, probably to be used on spacecraft of some type?

The NASA optical black and optical coatings data contained more than one material.

All we see from you is one material.

Jim

Reply to
jbuch

(1) "The selection of infrared blacks for SIRTF" by St. Claire Dinger, SPIE, Vol. 2260, Stray Radiation in Optical Systems III (1994). (2) "Infrared black paints for room and cryogenic temperatures" by Ungar, Mangin, Lutz, Jeandel & Wyncke, SPIE, Vol 1157, IR Technology XV (1989).

Jan 9, 2004

I think that the best black coating is ZYNOLYTE a paint for Hi-Temp (1200ºFº) the original purpose was to paint stoves or similar, but now is used for all manufacturer of black-bodys, for NASA, Sandia Labs etc. The coeficient is 0,99 and works perfectly in IR, Distributor is Athena Brands Inc Gardnerville Nevada

E. Diez Valero

- Madrid, SPAIN

Reply to
jbuch

sounds like a pretty good idea.

Candle soot or butane soot is very very black.. blacker than any paint i've seen. A butane lighter lit with an oxygen starved atmosphere soots all over. Pure(er) butane shouldn't be hard to find.

And can't beat the price!

-Scott

Reply to
aSkeptic

Carbon black is a very good broadband absorber of UV, VIS and IR radiation. It's also difficult to work with as it adsorbs a host of environmental materials, thereby changing its reflectivity and it's flammable. If you have a specific need for UV absorption, going by the visible appearance of material can be deceiving. Rare earth oxides, specifically praseodymium oxide is an exotic, but effective broadband absorber that can also handle high temperatures. I have a patent on selective spectral absorption (see US Patent 6,465,799) you may want to look at. It contains data for various compounds that selectively absorb or reflect radiation. Hope this is helpful.

- Allan

Reply to
Allan Kimble

If you are wanting to apply a black (very black) coating onto a "metal" surface, would electroplating "black nickel" work? It has a fairly high emissivity rating, works under extremely high temps, etc....

obirer wrote:

Reply to
Pat L.

Black at what wavelengths? A stack of unused, degreased single-edged razor blades bolted in register is *astoundingly black* at optical wavelengths and shorter viewed normal to the two sharp edges' sides. That does not obtain as you proceed into the mid-IR.

Google "Martin Black" paint 4600 hits

Intervalence transfer compounds like copper chromite are astoundingly black. You need more than that. Cavity size vs. wavelength is also important.

Reply to
Uncle Al

If they're single-edged, how do they have two sharp sides?

Reply to
Mark Thorson

Mea culpa. Double-edged, obviously. I had spent a day at the Orange County Fair with two women. Don't ever put a woman near anything evolving you value. They are obsessed with process and have no conceptual grasp of product or consequences. Better to go brain dead and wait for it to all end.

Gloriosa lily tubers were going for a song. The milking demo was short one holstein, but they rustled up a bernstein. Mrs. Bernstein was the one with a big wet nose. "8^>)

Reply to
Uncle Al