Live span of 15% glow Fuel

Assuming the bottle is capped, how long should a bottle of glow feul be okay to use after you break the seal? A year, Two years?

Gasoline "goes bad" in 3-6 months but how about glow feul?

Thanks

Austin

Reply to
Austin Bugden

two years for sure - but you must use the red (or whatever color) plastic seal and than the cap. A friend is using stuff over 4 years old. But if moisture gets in - from inproper sealing - all bets are off.

Reply to
zara

They make stabilizers for gasoline to make it last longer, not sure about glow fuel.

Reply to
Scotty

FACTS ABOUT FUEL

Storing Fuel for Maximum Shelf Life

(The following is the fifth in a series of articles exploring all facets of model engine fuel. The writer was Don Nix, President of GBG Industries, Inc., manufacturers of POWERMASTER model fuel.)

During the Q&A part of countless "Dog & Pony Shows" at hobby clubs all over the U.S., one of the frequently asked questions is, "What's the shelf life of fuel?" The answer if both simple and easy: Properly stored, model engine fuel will last almost indefinitely. So..what constitutes "properly stored"? Let's take a look.

Contrary to many things you might have read or heard, just about the only thing that adversely affects model fuel is the absorption of moisture from the air. Keep the air away from it, and your fuel will likely be potent longer than you are! Methanol - the major ingredient in model fuel - is hygroscopic. This means it's virtually 100% soluble in water, and absorbs moisture from the air like a vacuum cleaner sucking up dirt.

Most modelers have no idea how rapidly this can - and does - happen, and tend to be rather skeptical about the idea. Let me paint a picture for you: Almost everyone has spilled a little fuel on the top of their fuel can in their flight box. If so, you've no doubt noticed that the shallow film of raw fuel takes on a cloudy, milky look. What you are seeing is the methanol sucking moisture right out of the air. Since the quantity of fuel is thin with a lot of surface area, the absorption is rapid, the water won't mix with the oil and the fuel turns cloudy. Just remember how quickly this happens...almost immediately..and it might give you an idea of just how quickly your fuel can be ruined if you leave the cap off, allow a vent tube to remain open, etc.

The wide surface area relative to the quantity of the fuel exposed is disproportionate, of course, to leaving the cap off the fuel jug, but I think you get the idea. In a humid condition such as exists in parts of the U.S., it doesn't take very long at all to adversely affect your fuel. And it doesn't take a large opening..a cross-threaded cap, a small vent line, etc. is all that's needed to do the damage.

The solution is simple, of course..just keep it tightly sealed. And yet, sometimes that's not enough. Most of us have seen small droplets condensed inside our fuel jugs after it's become partially empty. This is the result of condensation of moisture as the air trapped inside the jug cools. Until about a year ago, there was little we could do about this, but there is now a method to take care of this problem. Since it's not the purpose of this column to commercially promote our own products, those interested are invited to contact the writer at the e-mail address above, and we'll be happy to tell you about the product that will solve the problem.

While it's true that the UV in sunlight (or in fluorescent lights, for that matter) will cause pure nitromethane to deteriorate over time, it's our experience that once the nitro is in solution and substantially diluted, the deteriorative effect is relatively minor.

To test this, some years ago we put a gallon of 10% fuel out in direct sunlight (in sunny Southern California) for a month. At the end of that time, we tested that fuel in an engine vs. fresh product and could see no difference. While it certainly won't hurt anything to store fuel away from direct sunlight, etc., it's our personal opinion that the adverse effect of sunlight on fuel under normal operating conditions is too little to worry about.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

I'll second the motion that water absorbtion is the problem.

I've used fuel several years old with no apparent ill effects provided that the container has been kept sealed and not subjected to extremes of tremperature.

We used to add Methanol to the normal diesel fuel in a school bus to "dissolve" any moisture which got into the tank from humid air or rain whilst refuelling. This was to stop the water from freezing in the fuel line in cold weather - a major cause of problems at one time. I suspect, but have no experience, that modern diesel fuel is less prone to this problem - we don't get so many stories of diesel powered vehicles coming to a stop or being unable to start because of frozen fuel lines these days.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Fisher