nose weights for Monogram p61 Black Widow.

I have started building a Revell-Monogram 1:48 scale Black Widow. I am told by a very reliable source that I'll be needing some nose weights. My friend has been unable to contact the chap who used to make said nose weights, so, I don't know how much weight to use, or alternatively, where to obtain ready made nose weights. I have no problem with melting down my own lead and "rolling my own" I just have no idea how much lead is needed. My presumption is that too much is as bad as too little. I'd appreciate any pointers anyone would care to share. TIA, Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC

Bruse - Having bought several of these sets from Terry, I've had a few pieces of data on him and the weights. Here's what I have:

Terry Dean

3407 Summers Lane Klamath Falls, Oregon 97603 Telephone: (541) 884-9298 E-Mail: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

If you've not contacted him via these avenues yet, give them a try. The weights he sells fit as advertised and make a quick solution to an otherwise 'trial-and-error' issue.

Frank Kranick

Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC wrote:

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

This might oek for you, it's always been good to me. Dry fit the fuselage and wings and hold together with tape. Balance the model's wings on a couple of points in line with the main landing gear ( I use a jig made from a couple of "kindergarden" pencils, you know, the ones that are a real thick diameter). These are mounted into a plank (mine is 6" square) with the erasers pointed up and also tapered a bit (not to a point, but to maybe 1/4 of the original diameter). Check to see where the balance point is compared to the main landing gear. Is the plane tail heavy? Then I take a plastic shot glass (the kind that comes with Niquil) and tape it to the nose of the aircraft. Now SLOWLY AND CAREFULLY add the lead weight. I use bird shot. When I have the aircraft assuming a nice stance, I add in maybe a teaspoon more shot and set aside and begin to assemble the model. When you're ready to put in the weight, mix it with some White Glue and pack it in. Glue the fuselage halves together and let the model sit for a day or so so that the sludge dries. Now you should be good to go. I've done this a number of times and only twice have I had problems. First was putting the aircraft behind the landing gear and that obviously threw the balance off. The other time was after I set the shot glass full of bird shot aside and a couple of hours later knocked it over. In addition to mess, I tried to rely on my memory to replace the proper amount of lead in the glass. WRONG! Not enough. Anyway, hope this helps.

The Old Timer

I have started building a Revell-Monogram 1:48 scale Black Widow. I am told by a very reliable source that I'll be needing some nose weights. My friend has been unable to contact the chap who used to make said nose weights, so, I don't know how much weight to use, or alternatively, where to obtain ready made nose weights. I have no problem with melting down my own lead and "rolling my own" I just have no idea how much lead is needed. My presumption is that too much is as bad as too little. I'd appreciate any pointers anyone would care to share.

If you are going to weight the plane per realism, the weights could be located in the engine compartments, and could be set to the proportioned amount representing the scale weight of the craft. :P

Reply to
<rpm5090

When I use nose weight I set the plane vertical, nose down, dump in some lead fishing line weights or scrap lead chunks from my wife's stained glass leftovers, then pour in some white glue and let it sit for a few days. If the nose isn't accessible when fuselage is together, you have to alter somethings a bit, like removing the forward wall of the nose gear well so you can load it up, and install that piece later.

Tom

Reply to
thiett

I've always used the small bags of fishing weights and copy the Indiana Jones of measuring (think the beginning of Raiders of the Lost Ark) Like Indy, I'm usually a bit off....:-) but there are lots of sizes of the weights to choose from.

Craig

Reply to
Craig

Whilst building the Airfix A-26 with the bombadier nose it became apparent we weren't going to be able to put much weight in the nose. I took a few 9 mm semi wadcutter bullets, smashed them appropriately in a vise (hammering as well) and placed them in appropriate positions in the engine nacelles. No need for weight in the nose. hth

Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks to everyone who helped me get the nose weight issue cleared up for the P-61. All is well and the appropriate solution found. Cheers! Bruce

Reply to
Bruce W. Apple MA, NCC