1/32 bf110 Nose Question

just found the Revell 110 night fighter version. Is there an aftermarket nose with guns for this thing or could I just leave off those pesky attennae bits????

thx - Craig

Reply to
crw59

The noses of Bf 110 G-2 dayfighters and G-4 nightfighters were the same except for "those pesky attennae bits" on the latter, so you can simply leave them off and fill the mounting holes to get a G-2.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

aren't the engine nacelles wrong for both? i thought someone mentioned that when i bought one. and there was something about props and a correction kit?

Well, many (most?) of the G-4s had the four 7.9mm machine guns replaced with two Mk 108 30mm or two MG 151 20mm cannon. Dunno which nose the Revell kit has but if its the two-cannon nose rather than the four MG nose, simply clipping off the antenna bits won't get you back to a G-2 - all of which, SFAIK, carried the four-machine gun nose.

Cheers,

Reply to
Bill Shatzer

wish i had one of those mk108's. that is one sweet gun. my neighbor's dog, (plus the house and the neighbor.) would get a couple of rounds next 3am barkathon.

Then the neighbours will gripe about the fool playing with guns in the middle of the night. ;)

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr.

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

e wrote, among other things:

I'm actually in Chicago (as you probably know) but it does seem like Alaska here today, with a high of about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. Your sweater story is breaking my heart. ;-)

Basically I slit the front half of each kit nacelle at the top, at the bottom and on each side back to the leading edge of the wing; inserted long, narrow wedges to increase the nacelle's front diameter to match an accurate Bf 109 G/K spinner (which in real life was the same Messerschmitt part); and then filed the now slightly squared-off nacelle until it was appropriately round at the front and elliptical farther back. I used spinners from two old Revell '109 G kits to replace the undersized '110 spinners and scratchbuilt new prop blades, but accurate aftermarket or kit '109 spinners (and blades, IIRC) would be even better.

The 1/32 Revell '110 G-4 kit contains rudders that would be accurate for a G-2 dayfighter but are too small for all but the earliest G-4 nightfighters, because the G-4 nightfighters with large radar antenna arrays needed larger rudders to maintain directional control. I don't recall whether Jerry Rutman sells replacement rudders, but in any case the kit rudders are easy to modify to the G-4 standard with sheet plastic.

Thanks for your kind words.

Charles Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz

mixed you up with the guy in anchorage, pardon my senility.... hey, sweaters are binding, i need my shirtsleeves weather! (sorry, couldn't resist.) i was born in berwyn, so i know lake effect nastiness and don't envy you.

how easy to find the 109's? i guess rutman would be simplest.

i appreciate your advice. as stated eslewhere, i want to do a good one for a german friend.

I do like being JUST far enough south to avoid the Lake Effect stuff. I love it when Chi & South Bend get 18" & Lafayette gets a foot...and I decide whether or not to bother scraping the inch off the driveway.

Cant wait for Sunday. Go Colts! {Mr. Grossman, meet Mr. Freeny. Mr. Freeny, Mr. Grossman. Oh, you've met}

-Kevin in Indy

Reply to
Kevin M. Vernon

sunday? whuzzup?

Superbowl...GO BEARS!!!

Reply to
Rufus

Bears, they oughta call 'em the 'Chipmunks'. - Darren McGavin as Ralphie's Ol' Man

Bill Banaszak, MFE Sr. ;)

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Charles Metz wrote: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net wrote: just found the Revell 110 night fighter version. Is there an aftermarket nose with guns for this thing or could I just leave off those pesky attennae bits???? The noses of Bf 110 G-2 dayfighters and G-4 nightfighters were the same except for "those pesky attennae bits" on the latter, so you can simply leave them off and fill the mounting holes to get a G-2. Well, many (most?) of the G-4s had the four 7.9mm machine guns replaced with two Mk 108 30mm or two MG 151 20mm cannon. Dunno which nose the Revell kit has but if its the two-cannon nose rather than the four MG nose, simply clipping off the antenna bits won't get you back to a G-2 - all of which, SFAIK, carried the four-machine gun nose. Cheers,

I happen to have had this kit gathering dust here at home for a few years now. Has anyone here ever done a corrected Gun Nose, perhaps an open Gun Nose showing off the Guns.

Just how hard would it be to display it with the hood open. Are there Guns or Cannons (Plastic or Castings) -or- Gun Pods -or- Wing Rockets that will fit and look Correct. Anything on-line or in print to help with doing a project like this. I really want to finally start to build this up for the spring. After all this is one of my favorite aircraft ever.

Thanks very much

... Carl ..........

,,

Reply to
cyberborg 4000

yeah, me too. i rank this with the ju52, sm79, bv 141, and so 335 as the most fun to build and bash.

What I did when I wanted a gun nose version was to get hold of the C model in the History Makers series...

And as I've mentioned, Jerry Rutman makes a number of conversion items, reasonably priced - scroll down past the Ar 234B stuff:

Rufus

easy to turn that into a $200 kit. but no cowls...

Ive got a few very good construction articles from FineScale that I've collected on correcting the Bf 110G kit. There's a lot that can be done from basic scratch. The cowls are actually corrected by cutting triangular chunks out of them and squeezing to bring thm to the proper taper/diameter. As I recall,the kit supplied spinners are too larg in diameter and tha makes the cowl loft line too flat...I'll have to dig my refs out. I'd buy some Eduard etch, a set of spinners and props, and not much else.

...OTOH, visiting Rutman's site again has me wanting to bust out my Combat vac Ar 234B now.

Reply to
Rufus

any chance you could scan and post those? purty please.

Hmmnn...I don't have a sacanner...wonder what kind of copyright trouble I could get into for that?..

You may be able to find the FineScale articles archived on thier website, though. I haven't surfed them much beyond the home page.

Reply to
Rufus

Regarding Revell's 1/32 Bf 110 G-4 kit, Rufus wrote, among other things:

--snip--

No; the spinners are too short, too pointed and too *small* in diameter.

Charles "been there, done that" Metz

Reply to
Charles Metz