Stripping chrome plating

Hi,

Can anyone assist with how to strip chrome parts? I am building a Tamiya

1/12 scale motorcycle and I want to strip the frame and repaint using Alclad. I've never done it before. I've heard oven cleaner is good. Will any one do? And how to apply? I wasn't sure if I just cover the whole thing in it and leave it for a while (if so - how long) or if I work it on with a toothbrush? And if not oven cleaner what else will work?

I have a real fear of melting the frame so any help gratefully received.

Thanks, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

DOT 3 brake fluid and an old toothbrush works pretty well. Soak the part for 10 or 15 minutes and use the toothbrush as the plating loosens.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

I've used fume free Easy Off and placed the items in a zip lock bag, spray liberally and leave aside for a while, as long as overnight. Some chrome comes off easier than others. Sometimes a toothpick is needed to get the chrome out of the nooks and crannies. I wash with a toothbrush and some dishwashing liquid soap afterwards.

Reply to
RobG

Mark, just in case you don't know this: Usenet groups are archived. And you probably don't imagine that you're the first person asking this question, do you?

Well, in that case do a simple search. You'll learn what types of "chrome" might be used on plasitc and about a dozen different ways of stripping it.

Here is a good search for you:

the full link
...and start reading! Most methods will not damage your plastic pieces. :-) IMO, stay away from brake fluid.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Another simple and safe method is to mix up water and Tide (or a similar detergent) to a consistency slightly less thick than toothpaste and soak the parts in it for a couple of days. Then like other methods using an old toothbrush rinse and polish off the plating down to its plastic base. It takes a little longer but is certainly one of the safest methods. Ol ' 45

Reply to
Ol' 45

Westley's Bleach-White Simple Green Castrol SuperClean

Easy and less dangerous!

Reply to
Hawkeye

Common household bleach works best and quickest for me. You can almost watch the process as it happens. Inexpensive, too...

Frank Kranick

Reply to
Francis X. Kranick, Jr.

My personal favorite is vinegar. It takes a couple of days, but it is completely environmentally friendly and it has not failed me yet.

Vern

Mark Warr>Hi,

Reply to
Vernon Clark

But AFAIK, Westley's Bleach-White, Simple Green, bleach or vinegar only get rid of the "chrome" (aluminum) layer. Neither of those takes care of the clear coar under it. To fully strip the parts clear coat needs to also be removed.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

Thanks to everybody who took the trouble to reply to this. Lots of good suggestions there. I feel some experimentation coming on at the weekend!

Happy modelling.

Cheers, Mark.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

ventilation and gloves! eye protection, keep away from the pets! you will practice safety!

(g)

I did exactly that. I settled on bleach in the end. Nothing to do with how well it worked (although it did work well), just that it was easy to convince my wife I was cleaning the bathroom :-))))

All the chrome is now stripped and will be painting tonight.

Thanks again everyone, really appreciate your help.

M.

Reply to
Mark Warrington

I find that if I just leave it out unprotected in what passes for breathable atmosphere in these parts, in a while it strips itself.

you in l.a? glass left out will etch from the acid pollution.