Removing Chrome - AGAIN

Hi Just got myself the Minicraft 1935 Morgan Super Sports and the engine is horrible chrome (I remember em being rusty cast Iron), anyway - whats the
latest thoughts for removing this stuff ?? If all else fails, I'll paint over it, but I can forsee problems with that idea.
Thanks Keith
Keith, Easy Off Oven cleaner works for me. Mike
-- If you think there is good in everybody, you haven't met everybody.

That sounds interesting Mike, is it available in the UK do you know ?
Keith
Sent my missus off to get some once and she couldn`t find Easy Off so she bought some other brand from Tesco`s and that worked fine so I guess any spray type will do. Just pop the item in a container with a lid and leave for a while. Oh, and rinse well and wear gloves.

Yeah, I guess the brand "Easy Off " is states specific. Oh Yeah! Definitely wear the gloves, does a nasty number on your hands if you don't! Voice of experience....lol. Oops!!!! Mike
Easy Off contains Lye (sodium hydroxide). It attacks the metal but not styrene. It also softens the clear lacquer undercoat.
So, any product with lye will work. Like a drain clog remover fluid.
Model "chrome" is not really chromium (except for some recent chinese made models). It is a very thin layer of aluminum (aluminium) vacuum deposited on the clear coated plastic.
Lye violently attacks metals such as aluminum. If it was real chromium, lye would not remove it.
Peteski
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 09:37:41 +0100, "Keith Lanham"

Customers of mine have had success in removing paint with Mr. Muscle oven cleaner. Spray it on - put it into a dustbin liner and leave for 24 hours. Wash and then, if necessary, repeat. This should work for chrome as well, I think. In any case, it won't harm the model.
Hope this helps
On Mon, 3 Apr 2006 07:49:31 +0100, "Keith Lanham"

Aren't you in the UK? Look for a product called 'Modelstrip'.
http://tinyurl.com/s6ex4

My "From" address is munged - use 'modeleral (at) swbell (dot) net' to respond
Keith Lanham vient de nous annoncer :

Hi Keith,
The better (and very cheap) chrome remover is not diluted bleach. You let dip sprues inside hanging about ten minutes and all the chrome disappears.
Chris
--
Chris
I use vinegar. Takes a little longer, but it works like a champ for me!
Keith Lanham wrote:

Vernon Clark wrote:

The air which we are breathing over here seems to do the job, more effectively than I wish. Where does the "chrome" go which vanishes from models that just sit out for a while?

the same place your lap goes when you stand....duh! (g)
e wrote:

Hangs over my belt? (^_^)

you just gave away your age....brother.
Many thanks to all who took the time to reply.
Keith