Removing Chrome

Hello all - I received the help call that's printed below from a friend. Basically it says it all including the fact that it probably isn't our common out of the bottle or spray can chrome paint.

[[any idea on how to remove chrome paint? Actually I think it is electroplated on? Tried EasyOff oven cleaner and even laquer thinner on this diecast metal fuselage but no luck!]]

Any thoughts or hints appreciated.

Cheers and thanks. Jim.

Reply to
Jim

Le 23/05/2006, Jim a supposé :

Hi Jim,

To remove the chrome it is necessary to soak parts some minutes in some bleach. It is really very simple.

Reply to
Flying Frog

****** Great. I've passed your method along and he'll try it tonight when he gets home from work.

Thank you very much - Merci - cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

You could also try soaking the parts in Brake Fluid. Using bleach, you may need to let sit overnight, scrub the parts with a toothbrush, then soak again, repeat as required.

Reply to
Don McIntyre

You're welcome Jim. You will see, my solution works very well. Notice: You have to use the bleach pure, not diluted and the chrome is removed very quickly. 5 minutes are the good time generally. Naturally, you have to perfectly clean and rinse your parts after that.

Cheers

Reply to
Flying Frog

Don McIntyre vient de nous annoncer :

No Don, only 5 minutes to remove chrome with good quality (and pure) bleach... and toothbrush isn't necessary... Did you try that solution?

Brake Fluid is better for paints... but there is even better: the liquid based of caustic soda used to uncork channeling in houses, but attention, it is a very dangerous product (except for models)...

Reply to
Flying Frog

******* Good thoughts Don - thank you. I've passed your suggestion along. Too bad we have to wait until tonight or longer to get the results back.

Cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

******* Got it. I've already sent your update information to Peter. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

Many thanks. cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

Oops, sorry Jim. I just read the thread again, and I hadn't saw it was about can chrome... I thought it was about plate chrome as you can find it on parts in the boxes. Arghhh my bad English!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For paints or chrome from can, use the liquid based of caustic soda used to uncork channeling in houses. It works great, but that's dangerous for eyes and hands... So take care...

Reply to
Flying Frog

******* Ok. Peter will probably try all methods until one works or nothing works. All good ideas though. In reality I'm not even sure it is 'chrome' from a can. It may be electroplate or some other commercial method of producing a metal finish on a die-cast metal body. Hmmmmmmm?

Thanks much again. cheers - Jim.

Reply to
Jim

For electrplate, bleach is the only non destructive and very quick method I know... Good luck to your friend ;o)

Reply to
Flying Frog

Many of the paint applications on die-cast may be baked on or some sort of lacquer that is more resistant to chemical removal. Depending on that, you (or your friend) may be better off sanding the metal finish smooth and simply priming over it.

I have a similar situation with a Burago car that I thought would be fun to strip and paint. Solvents won't touch the finish, so I'll have to sand it down, then prime over that. Some day!

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

******* Oh oh! That's a distinct possibility - I haven't seen the beast in question but it's beginning to sound like your Burago. I'll forward your comments and we'll see what happens. I'll ask him if sanding is possible in this instance or is there some consideration preventing such an action. We'll see. Cheers and thank you for the input. Jim.
Reply to
Jim

For additional info check few more therads:

And if you search r.m.s. for "removing chrome" I'm sure you'll find even more info.

Peteski

Reply to
Peter W.

******* Very, very interesting for sure. Thanks Peter.
Reply to
Jim

Aircraft stripper will *nuke* _any_ paint finish on a diecast. But it's nasty stuff so pay close attention to all the precautions on the label.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

Good call Al; I regularly google MSDS's on stuff that I'm not familiar with. You can also ask for the MSDS when you buy it; an industrial supply will have it but the local Wal-Mart or whatever may not. To our non-US friends, the MSDS is a Material Safety Data Sheet, courtesy of OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration).

Whatever the chemical or product is, if it's available in the US, you can probably find an MSDS on it, and the information is GOLDEN. Learn how to use these solvents safely etc etc etc. It appears that aircraft stripper can contain methylene chloride, although it may not. In any case, here's the MSDS on it (a good example):

--- Stephen

Reply to
Stephen Tontoni

I've had good luck painting directly over chrome (actually aluminum). I use Krylon primer that has a pretty good tooth. It works fine, and you can then paint enamel over the Krylon.

BTW, first tried Krylon primer over a decade ago 'cause it was touted so much on this group. Used it ever since.

Reply to
Don Stauffer