real chrome

anyone know a way to remove real chrome from metal without
electricity? beside grinding it off?
They used to say that Coca-Cola could take the chrome off metal, but since they've changed the reciepe a couple of times, I don't know if that still holds true. How about a resonably dilute acid wash?
The Old Timer
coke will shine it. the dissolve was a myth. scid will. but i'm worried about the metal.
you watch the discovery channel.
Chromium is a very hard metal. Not much you can do with it once it is applied.
Why do you want to strip it ? To paint it ? If that is the case then just sandblast it. That will give the paint/primer some "tooth" to grab onto.
Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.
i have some custom akront rims for my chopper. chrome shop want 300 bucks per wheel to strip and rechrome. that's retarded. for 500 bucks i could buy a chrome plating kit from caswells.
Apart from the carbonated water, sugar, coloring, coca leaf extract and whatnot, Coke has phosphoric acid, which is the active component in naval jelly. That's what's cleaning the chrome, dissolving baby teeth in a glass, and God only knows what other inane experiments.
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
yup, but naval jelly is tough on chrome.
Aha! Isn't that what we want here?
Mark Schynert
Reply to
Mark Schynert
what's cleaning the chrome, dissolving baby teeth in a glass, and God only knows what other inane experiments>>
Umm, could I have a Pepsi please? ; )
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return. --Leonardo Da Vinci
Reply to
Disco -- FlyNavy
and on the metal....
That's because they will strip it (probably in an acid bath, though they might just etch the surface vise taking it down to bare steel), then polish, then copper plate, then polish, then possibly nickle plate, then plate the chrome. That's how the show stuff is done - they may even use more intermediate polishing steps. At the very least they'll lay down a new copper base before the actual chrome.
Reply to
Rufus
I haven't seen naval jelly in years...can you still get it?..
Reply to
Rufus
sure, auto parts and wally world.
i had some stuff rechromed before. it was pretty rusty. they dipped in an electric acid bath, the chrome came off, did a copper plate-then chromme and some washes. took 15 minutes. 300 bucks is a rip....
Hmmnn...my boss just had the bumper for his 442 rechromed not long ago - someplace in V-ville that he likes. I'll ask him about it tomorrow.
Reply to
Rufus
Yum, carbonated dishwater!
Bill Banaszak, MFE
Reply to
Bill Banaszak
300 might not be so unreasonable ... think about it...
Stripping them might be difficult without proper equipment and chemicals. I have no idea how the professionals do it. Also re-plating is not all that easy. They have to be cleaned and then they put a layer of copper then chrome on them. Then they might have to polish them too.
And I assume those are 1:1 scale - so they are probably 14" wheels. Plating kits are usually designed for small pieces, not large wheels. Container which would hold that wheel would need several gallons of plating solution.
Your 500 bucks chroming kit would be useless....
Good luck in your venture ! Peteski
Reply to
Peter W.