metallic finishes using acrylic paints

I've completed a fair number of aircraft in natural metal finishes using Alclad, SNJ, and even Krylon Chrome. But it sure would be nice for safetly reasons to be able to get a high quality finish with an acrylic "metalizer". Anyone had any luck with any of the acrylic metalizer paints? Tamiya, Gunze, PollyScale?What seems to work best?

I've experimented a little with Tamiya Chrome (seems very grainy) and PollyScale bright silver.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I don't think the layer technology used in acrylics can ever work effectively with metallic finishes, though I'll use Tamiya Chrome silver to patch gaps in foil finishes. I think you have to actually physically level the metallic grains with polishing as recommended by SnJ or the - what I call in his memory - Les Sundt method where you embed aluminium powder in varnish, then polish to level out. I've always been unsatisfied with using acrylic metallics overall, and have usually stripped it off again. I only wish enamels dried as positively as acrylics do. For the ultimate metallic finish, there was a terrific article in Finescale Modeller a few months ago describing how a P-38 was given the overall foil treatment. Chek

"metalizer".

Reply to
Chek

Back when I was using acrylics (I've gone back to enamels - acrylics dry too fast here), I was very impressed with the Gunze range of Mr Metal Color buffables. I found a gentler touch was needed when polishing than with enamels, but otherwise a good product.

RobG (the Aussie one)

"metalizer".

Reply to
Rob Grinberg