Advice please , a MIG welder cart

Readership,

I am about to fab a cart for my(new) Hobart 140 MIG w/CO2 bottle , and need some advice as to 'wheel' choice . I'm not really happy with the 4_wheel, castered carts that the mfgr offers ... druther have something that moves easier over soil/dirt.

I'm planning on putting the tank behind the MIG ( in line ) , and am trying to keep about 60% of the weight ahead of the axle when the cart is "flat"( at rest ) on the ground. And, some kinda 'tool' shelf atop the MIG case that doesnt interfer with opening the MIG lift_up, wire feed access, door.

The cart will operate over hard_packed soil/dirt , some driveway asphalt ... and will be a two(2) wheel tip_up cart similar to a hand dolly.

My question is ... for this kind of "soil/dirt" mobility , which wheel type is better ... . an inexpensive, lo_speed 10"(wide) dia pneumatic . an inexpensive, lo_speed 20"(narrow) dia pneumatic ( similar to a bike tire ).

I've heard that larger, 20" wheels operate better over dirt than 10" wheels , but no experience 'here'.

Added, it plugs direct into a GFI outlet. :-)

=Any= comment welcome .

Thanks for all replys, Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

I agree those hard wheels shake up the MIG,

I have (rather my dad and i have) one of these:

I replaced the hard plastic wheels with some bigger/wider soft ones (about 10" dia X 4" wide foam tyred off an old hover mover add on frame) and now it rolls nice and smooth.

For stability I would suggest having more than 60% of the weight ahead of the axle.

Cheers Chris

Reply to
Chris Glen-Smith

Whoosh, my tank is only 28" tall

'Point' taken ... will try for a frame 'adjust', fwd & bk. Maybe adjust the axle fwd & bk. Easier of the two.

Thanks, Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

It didn't come with that tank! ours is about the same size as yours :-) Actually we are using a CO2 tank from the social club bar next door to my dads. We did buy a tank with the welder but I forgot to turn it off one day and it leaked enough to empty over a couple of days :-( Doh!

Regrds Chris

Reply to
Chris Glen-Smith

Ed, Some of the folks have posted thier cart projects online:

and may give you some ideas.

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

"Up" one, & took a left turn @ Powder Paint ... Oops!

Ed.

Reply to
0_Qed

Reply to
chaz

Reply to
Al Patrick

The larger the diameter the better it'll roll over bumps. But to narrow and it'll sink into the ground. Best is large diameter and wide.

If the dirt is for sure really hard packed then the narrow tires will work. But any softness will bog it down.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

Wide tires, and spaced the farthest apart you can get them is the best idea, I think. I don't think big diameter is as important as having them spread out, especially if you use a tall bottle. It gives a bigger more stable base. I use one of those garden cart things that have the inflatable fat tires, and it works pretty good. It was quick to adapt, and cost about as much as I would have spent on materials. YMMV, and probably will.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Without going and looking at a wheelbarrow, 10" and wide sounds like a wheelbarrow type tire, which does pretty well on dirt. However, it is true that larger diameter is less put off by bumps and holes than small diameter. I'd start by seeing if you can find 20-27 inch "free" somewhat fat (mountain bike) wheels and tries by checking at the local landfill/ transfer station/recycling center. Or buy a yard sale bike or two if you can't find any for free.

If you're looking at soft dirt, wide matters more. If the dirt is reasonably hard, large diameter matters more. You say it's hard-packed dirt, so go with large diameter.

Reply to
Ecnerwal

Chaz. That is what I am going to do also, but I am going to have a shelf right under the welder for supplies ( hammer, pliers. ect.) Don D.

Reply to
Don D.