Welder purchase advice please

Hello all. I was hoping to get some advice on buying a new welder. I
already have a gas rig and a small Miller 135 MIG. I wanted to start
playing with TIG and have been looking for a unit to buy. I'm a
hobbyist and won't be making a living with the welder. However, I don't
want to buy junk.
I was looking at the new, lower cost units from Miller, Lincoln and
Hobart. They all seem to have something for around $1300 and a better
model for around $2000. I want AC for aluminum and HF for arc starting.
I checked my local paper and found someone selling an older Miller 330
a/bp with a Bernard water cooling unit for $1000. It is from a closed
manufacturing business, and the guy says that it works like new.
I was hoping to get some advice from those in the group who are much
more familiar with welding equipment than I am. Any advice will be
greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Mike M.
Reply to
mikemo
I've been using a Thermal arc pro-wave 185 AC/DC Inverter TIG, and absolutely love it. It is small, portable and has low input AMP requirement. I mostly use it on stainless (DC), and rarely on alu (A/C ) New, they run $1560-1600 has pulse, high freq start , lift arc, adj. frequency, wave balance control for AC awsome little machine.

acrobat ant
i'm kinda a "noob" to welding gear, but my esab 161 works like a charm, and i see alot of posts with people who use these:
HTP miller 180sd esab 161
hobart and miller are basically the same units. although i love my esab, i would stick with miller or htp for support reasons.
Reply to
Kryptoknight

Site Timeline

  • I'm thinking about getting a readywelder and remember several posts speaking...

    ⚡ Weldings