6011 on D.C.= 6010 on D.C. ??

Greetings-cannot buy 6010 in this area in ten pound packages. So I am
wondering what the difference is between running
6011 on D.C. and running 6010 on D.C. This is for home shop applications;
not welding to any code. Thanks, Jim.
Reply to
Jim L.
I have a Century home shop AC/DC welder 250amp... I run 1/8 and/or 5/32" 6011 on DC all the time with it. I can get 6010 in small quantities but it GOES OUT with out any warning on my NON INDUSTRIAL welder. It ill run perfectly normal for a few inches of rod then extinguish.. I checked my welder an it is producing DC when set to DC and AC when set to AC! I have taken this same batch of 6010 to work and it runs fine on an Industrial DC welder (Lincoln TM 300 AC/DC. I find 6011 on DC just has slightly more slag to deal with in the arc, but will give an equal performance to 6010...I also like to run the larger 6011 rod on AC for heavy plate welding with NO ARC BLOW!. So if you have a small AC/DC transformer welder, It may give you the same problem with 6010.
Reply to
alphonse
Thanks so much for the info. My welder would be comparable to yours, only it is a Hobart. Have yet to try 6010. Jim.
applications;
Reply to
Jim L.
6010 requires a high open-circuit-voltage so it is not suitable for low end hobby machines. It requires DC to work properly.
6011 is much more forgiving and can work on AC.
6011 is an agressive that gets good penetration and can weld through light rust, paint and dirt.
6010 is 6011's mean cousin that just got out of prison after serving 10 years for armed robbery.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
snip
ROTFLMAO! Warn me before you do that!
Reply to
RoyJ
no kidding !!!! that seems to be a different Ernie that I know of..... did you have some eggnog mixed with something this morning ???
:-)
Reply to
acrobat-ants
If you sift through my posts over the last 8 years you will see a disturbing trend towards the absurd.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Ernie, everyone
Can you run 6011 with a "buzz-box" (a $60 new - an ultra-cheap tranformer only and nothing else AC welding machine).
Want to burn some rods and proper welder packed away - only access is to buzz-box. Just want to rip along a few inches of V-prep.
Even with 6011, would you get rod sticking to work when trying to press down into root when using buzz-box?
Richard Smith
Reply to
Richard Smith
is it like ? the older I get the wisor I was.
Reply to
acrobat-ants
I think the best 6011 available for small AC home shop welders is Lincoln fleetweld 180 brand. It was the first electrode developed for small limited AC imput farm welders about 45 years ago...this rod just burns like a fuse and it won't snuff out in a tight short arc situation, as do other brands of 6011 that are intended for use on industrial {high OCVoltage} welders. I am sure there are other 6011's that will work on an "AC buzz box" such as Forney super 60, Marquette 130, ...Many have gone by the wayside since the advent of cheap Mig welders.
applications;
Reply to
alphonse
The older I get the better I used to be!!!!!
DanG