Plasma cutter

Hi group, I want to get into plasma cutting and have been looking at 2 machines that I can get locally (South Africa), the Miller 3080 and the Lincoln Pro Cut 80, but my questions are, which would you go for and can they work on single phase, 230V, 50Hz? The local 'expert salesmen' over here, says they can't, but both Miller and Lincoln claim that they can on their websites, I'm confused!

Reply to
Jason Holler

A.B.

I would go by what the manual says. Lincoln's Pro-Cut 80 manual indicates that it is designed to operate on single phase as well as three phase. The manual even gives detailed instructions for connecting to a single phase source.

Here's a link to the manual. Check pages A-1, and A-3.

An inverter power source, like the Pro-Cut 80, converts the input power to DC before it is conditioned and converted for welding or cutting. If the manufacturer has used an input rectifier and filter capacitors that are of the propper size for single phase operation, there should be no problem operating such a machine on either three phase or single phase.

I can't comment on the Miller machine because I don't have any experience with it, but I suspect that it works much like the Lincoln.

Reply to
Bob