galv welding question

I was welding on a galvanized bucket. I had ground off the coating on the side I was welding and the beads were working but after extinguishing the arc each time I'd get this afterburn effect on the opposite side of the metal that looked and sounded like magnesium burning. What is it?

thanks

Reply to
ben carter

Zinc oxide powder.

Reply to
Randy Zimmerman

and don't breath that shit in either!!!!!! Can cause serious injury!

Steve

Reply to
VW Golf Cart