? Silent Arc ?

Ham radio has a name for deceased radio operators who have passed. It called a "Silent Key" referring back when ALL radio operators used the key; i.e. Morse Code with No computers, etc.

Is a welder called a Silent Arc or is there any such reference?

I know a very good welder who recently passed. He was not a about 70 years old and Navy trained.

Reply to
Al Patrick

Silent arc or perhaps Cold Arc ?

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

I knew someone would get around to answering the question. ;-)

Seriously, "Silent Key" is a very respectful way of saying a ham radio operator is deceased. I knew "silent arc" wasn't right because there's probably no such thing. The "arc" probably implies some sound - thus not silent. However, I'm not sure I like the "Cold Arc" too well either. It sounds almost morbid. :-(

Not that it's necessary, but perhaps someone will come up with something fitting. I just figured there might be a chance there was already such an expression.

Thanks,

Al

Reply to
Al Patrick

Perhaps.... Dark Arc.....referring to what was once alive and bright ....although still in our hearts and minds but we can no longer see.

I am a ham and understand the "silent key" quite well. I had an uncle who was instrumental in me entering the ham radio arena and is now "slient key".

Just a thought.

Randy Ray WA5SZL

Randy Ray

old welders never die,they just arc away hehe

Reply to
reqluq

"Dark Arc" - Not bad! I guess it'll have to do for now, anyway.

Thanks,

Al

=========

Randy Ray wrote: