BSEE Degree Vs. BSEET

I'm currently enrolled in the BSEET program and recently found out there is a huge difference between that and a BSEE degree.

But in order for me to enroll in the BSEE, I basically have to start over and take 33 courses part time because they will not transfer over any of my credits from my BSEET courses.

Can someone tell me what the huge difference is and is it really as hard as people tell me???

Reply to
Peter

The way I understand it is that your degree is for a super smart technician who will put things together and test for someone who has a better theoretical or analytical understanding. It would be sort of like a nurse practitioner doing simpler examinations for a full fledged physician.

Bill

Reply to
<salmonegg

If you were *talked* into it by someone at that institution, you may be able to get your money back; you lost your time. But if the courses were worth anything, you will have a better insight into the math and physics that follows.

If it really bothers you, then I hate to use the word, but it's lawsuit.

Al

Reply to
Al

no, I wasn't talked into it. I originally had no idea BSEET was different than a BSEE, I just thought it's what my school called it.

After speaking with co-workers,they informed me otherwise. So now I'm questioning what I should pursue.

Reply to
Peter

If you desire training as a well-rounded engineer with a good grasp of science, this is traditionally what the BSEE was intended for. There are certain minimum requirements from the accredited schools. You will need to gain an understanding of the basic sciences (physics, chemistry, thermodynamics, electrostatics, etc.) A fundamental knowledge of advanced mathematics is essential (especially calculus, linear equations, etc.) Today this would include specialties such as computer programming skills, materials science, transmission line propagation, antennas... You should have a good grasp of concepts like impedance and know how a Smith Chart is used. An engineer knows how to convert between the time domain and the frequency domain, how to design basic circuits like amplifiers, digital logic, etc.

I was trained as an engineer and remember fellow students who were equally good technicians, some of who could take apart and fix anything. The rigorous scientific training just added to their value and capabilities.

One the other hand, there were other engineering students who seemingly didn't know a monkey wrench from a pork chop. Some of these were good test takers though and did well on paper.

Also, I have known many outstanding electronic technicians who did not have formal training but may have been ham radio operators or computer geeks when they were young. In other words, they were motivated by a love of technology to further their careers and didn't necessarily possess the formal creditials.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber