Arc welding reference tables?

I am looking for some nice document, either a print publication or a PDF or some such, that contains reference tables. Basically, I am
looking for information on
1) when to use which rod
2) (most important) how to set the welder and arc depending on weld conditions. For example, what amps setting and what electrode, and at what distance, should I use to make a vertical fillet weld of 3/16 to 3/16 mild steel, or horizontal butt weld of 1/8" to 1/8" steel. What grooves and bevels to make. Etc etc
I suspect that for every such combination, there is the best way of doing it, and also that it may take me too long to find it by myself, and also that someone has already done it.
I did read some textbooks (and will read more) and have not found anything truly comprehensive.
Ignoramus14408 wrote:

Your question trickily expands in the middle. It's one thing to ask for amperage ranges for rods, this information is printed on the front of many welders, but then you switch to asking to how to fit up e.g. horizontal butt welds 1/8 to 1/8 which is an entirely different question.
I have never seen any "nice document" covering any of this stuff either, and I read the stick welding section of "Modern Welding" about 5 times carefully recently, and it's supposed to be the bomb diggity. - GWE
Grant Erwin wrote:

Miller sells a nice set of slide charts for MIG, TIG and stick for like $5 on their web site. They will give you a good starting point for just about anything.
Pete C.

Thanks Pete, I will check it out.
Thanks. Someone recommended Miller calculators, which seem to be what I was looking for, and inexpensive. I bought them a couple of minutes ago.

Ignoramus1729 wrote:

Please post a review. - GWE

I will, but check this out for a good description of these two items that I bought.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item843467472
This is NEW MILLER TIG WELDING CALCULATOR GTAW.
Welding Type, No, Thickness, Tupes of Tungsten Electrodes, Tungsten Electrodes dia., Cup orifice dia., Filler rod dia., Amperes, Gas Tupe, Gas flow cfh, Gas psi, Speed (in./min.) Remark
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item841165638
This is NEW MILLER STICK AMPERAGE WELDING CALCULATOR .
You are bidding on a very handy slide calculator for the STICK/SMAW welding process -- gives information based on metal thickness on electrode type, amperage range, AC or DC, Usage (application) of filler electrode type, Position, Penetration, & Polarity (EP, EN). Has information printed on backside on how to strike an arc and conditions that affect weld bead shape. This item is new.
Ignoramus1729 wrote:

- snip -
By review, I don't mean preselling hype, I mean do you actually find the stuff useful and readable, do you like the product? I don't have anything against that seller, but what he says about these was generated by Miller marketing people, and what he shows is far too small or deliberately fuzzy to be of any use. So the net actual technical content of that ebay posting is zip dot shit as they used to say in Vietnam.
GWE
Well it took some time but I finally located a free copy for download of Military Manual TC 9-237 It is 15 meg approx so those on dial up may want too think twice about downloading LOL.
This is a link to the main page which also has several links for welding. http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/PDFs /
Scroll down to "Welding" and select a.. US Army Welding Manual (LARGE 15 Meg) All total 774 pages from basic info to inspection and testing.
Once in the manual scroll down too page 658 where there is references of parts used in vehicles along with composition and welding info.
Now about the Miller Calculators Bought them a few months ago, stuck them in my inspection tool kit after checking them out. Never had a need for them yet; but If I do remember correctly the settings where close enough that a little fine tuning from machine too machine is all that is needed.
John Noon

Thanks, I just downloaded the manual.

The links he provided were more expensive than buying directly from Miller. They sell MIG, Stick and TIG calculators for only $1.50 each or $4 for all 4. Plus shipping of course but I'm sure it's better than buying from the guy on eBay.
http://www.millerwelds.com/education/tools/#calculators
I bought a set a few years ago, glanced over them and stuck them somewhere and have never really used them but most of my welding is on similar stuff so I rarely have a need to figure out something new.
At any rate, while looking for the Miller link I found that they now have free weld calculators online and they look pretty darn handy at first glance!
http://www.millerwelds.com/education/calculators/
"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"
Have you a copy of The Procedure Handbook put out by Lincoln??? http://www.jflf.org / It has details on joint design for most processes and indicates level of quality such as code level or commercial level. Randy
I am looking for some nice document, either a print publication or a PDF or some such, that contains reference tables. Basically, I am looking for information on
1) when to use which rod
2) (most important) how to set the welder and arc depending on weld conditions. For example, what amps setting and what electrode, and at what distance, should I use to make a vertical fillet weld of 3/16 to 3/16 mild steel, or horizontal butt weld of 1/8" to 1/8" steel. What grooves and bevels to make. Etc etc
I suspect that for every such combination, there is the best way of doing it, and also that it may take me too long to find it by myself, and also that someone has already done it.
I did read some textbooks (and will read more) and have not found anything truly comprehensive.

What a great website. I wish they picked a better name though. I will read articles there...