A Newbie's stick welding experience and question.

I can burn 6011, 6013, and 7014 3/32 rods all day long with my Merlin

150 110VAC AC welder. I can start them and run them from 80 Amps to ~150 Amps indicated (if that is what the welder will really do).

On the Merlin welder is says 110Volts at 35 Amps. No go at 20 Amps. The trick was to supply it with 40 Amps AC at 110 Volts and to cut a

4x4 hole in the back of the case and place a cooling fan there. It works 100% duty cycle and I am amazed that I can burn these rods with such a compact portable welder.

But here's the problem:

I am practicing with a hunk of =BD" thick angle and a piece of bed frame.

I am trying to join them.

Using 6011 rod the weld goes onto the bed frame and will not stick to the angle.

With 7014 it is just the opposite, beautiful and strong bead to the angle but a pseudo bead to the bed frame pulls right off.

I have tried putting the heat to the thicker piece and whipping it onto the bed frame.

Whatever I try, the weld sticks to one piece and not to the other.

I sliced through a weld with my angle grinder and it looks very solid.

I would appreciate a few suggestions.

BoyntonStu

Reply to
BoyntonStu

Sure you're getting an adequate ground on both pieces? Work with the puddle, not the arc- watch the puddle and take it where it needs to go.

Do you have adequate heat? 7014 in particular will run at a remarkably low amperage.. Put a picture up, that might help.

John

Reply to
JohnM

Current information: AC 3/32" rods

6011 (amperage 50-85 recommended) 7014 (amperage 80-100 recommended) Attempting to join 1/2" to 1/8" mild steel.

A bit more information please:

- Butt weld or fillet weld?

- Pushing or dragging the electrode?

- Ground lead positioned where?

- What kind of whipping motion?

- Any stepping forward and back with the electrode?

- Root gap size?

- Electrode angles?

- What amperage used for each electrode type?

- Arc lengths?

I would recommend runn>

Reply to
Thomas Kendrick

Try 2 pieces of angle. Bedframe tends to be made out of whatever is handy that will fit in the melting pot. Ever try drilling multiple holes in the average old bed frame? Having a Drill Doctor on hand comes in handy...

Gunner

Gunner